Analysis and Design of Mechanisms

In summary: Keep that in mind.In summary, an electrical engineering student is seeking advice on taking a mechanical engineering class to fulfill a degree requirement. They have found a junior level class on mechanisms with only a prerequisite of statics. However, they are unsure if this is enough knowledge and if the class will be difficult. They are also looking for additional resources to prepare for the class.
Ryuk1990
Hello all, I'm an electrical engineering student searching for some advice regarding a mechanical engineering class. I have to take at least one upper level engineering class that's not electrical for my degree and I would prefer to take an ME class to fulfill that requirement. While browsing my school's course catalog, I noticed a junior level ME class on the analysis and design of mechanisms. I noticed the only ME prerequisite was statics. Lucky for me, I've taken statics already and so I can sign up for the mechanisms class. However, I find it hard to believe that the only ME knowledge you need going into a mechanisms class is statics. Isn't a lot of dynamics knowledge needed for this? And some knowledge about mechanics of materials? I know this varies by the professor teaching the course, but is a mechanisms class considered very difficult? Also, are there any good recommended online sites/PDF files that go over material I can expect from a mechanisms class?​

Engineering news on Phys.org
Believe it or not, dynamics can be overlooked in a lot of mechanical devices. You're signing up for a class on mechanisms, so don't expect to be designing a moon rocket for your class project.

1. What is the purpose of analyzing and designing mechanisms?

The purpose of analyzing and designing mechanisms is to understand how they work and to create efficient, reliable, and safe machines or devices. This involves studying the motion, forces, and energy involved in the operation of a mechanism, and using this knowledge to design a system that meets specific performance requirements.

2. What are the key principles of mechanism analysis and design?

The key principles of mechanism analysis and design include kinematics, dynamics, and machine elements. Kinematics focuses on the motion and geometry of the mechanism, while dynamics deals with the forces and torques involved. Machine elements refer to the individual parts that make up a mechanism and how they interact with each other.

3. What are some common methods used to analyze mechanisms?

There are several methods used to analyze mechanisms, including graphical analysis, analytical techniques, and computer-aided analysis. Graphical analysis involves using diagrams and graphical methods to visualize and understand the motion and forces in a mechanism. Analytical techniques use mathematical equations to determine the motion and forces in a mechanism. Computer-aided analysis involves using software to simulate and analyze the performance of a mechanism.

4. How does the design process for mechanisms typically work?

The design process for mechanisms typically involves several steps, including problem definition, conceptual design, detailed design, analysis, and testing. Problem definition involves understanding the requirements and constraints of the mechanism. Conceptual design involves generating and evaluating different design ideas. Detailed design involves creating detailed drawings and specifications. Analysis involves verifying the performance of the design through simulations or calculations. Testing involves physically building and testing a prototype of the mechanism to ensure it meets the requirements.

5. What are some real-world applications of mechanism analysis and design?

Mechanism analysis and design are used in a wide range of industries and applications, including automotive and aerospace engineering, robotics, manufacturing, and biomedical devices. Some specific examples include designing car engines, creating robotic arms for assembly lines, and developing prosthetic limbs for amputees. Mechanism analysis and design are also used in everyday objects, such as door hinges, bicycles, and kitchen appliances.