1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Comp question: function that's a contraction mapping when composed w/itself

1. Oct 10, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose F is mapping of a nonempty complete metric space into itself, and that
    F^3 = F o F o F is a contraction (o's denote composition). Show that f has a unique fixed point.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Isn't this kind of a trick question? Suppose f does not have a unique fixed point. Then there does not exist a unique x such that f(x)=x. Hence there doesn't exist a unique x s.t. f(f(x))=f(x)=x. Hence there doesn't exist a unique x s.t. f(f(f(x)))=f(f(x))=f(x)=x.

But this contradicts the assumption that F^3 is a contraction, since any contraction on a complete metric space has a unique fixed point.

What am I missing here, this is too easy!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Analysis Comp question: function that's a contraction mapping when composed w/its

Why can't there exists an x such that f(f(x))=x??
    And why must f(f(x))=f(x)? You don't know that f(x) is a fixed point of f...

4. Oct 10, 2011 #3
    Re: Analysis Comp question: function that's a contraction mapping when composed w/its

If I move towards a contradiction by supposing the contrary, that there doesn't exist a unique fixed point for f, then there is no unique x st f(x)=x (they may exist but not unique). Let y=f(x). Then there is no unique y st f(y)=y ----> no unique f(x) st f(f(x))=f(x), and further, there is no unique x st f(x)=x, so no unique x st f(f(x))=f(x)=x.

Continuing in this fashion leads to a contradiction that there is no unique fixed point for f^3, since by hypothesis f^3 is a contraction mapping (which implies f^3 has a unique fixed point). Hence the assumption that f has no unique fixed point is false.

Am I missing the forest for the trees? What's wrong with this argument? (Sorry for mixing up the F's and f's earlier, and also while this is a graduate comp question i'm actually an undergrad. Supposedly the graduate analysis course at my university is comparable to an honors undergrad analysis elsewhere).

5. Oct 11, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

You have now given an argument why there can't exist an x such that f(f(x))=f(x)=x. This is ok.
    But why can't there exist an x such that f(f(x))=x without x=f(x)????

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook