Proving the Uniqueness of a Fixed Point for a Differentiable Function

In summary, using the mean value theorem and a proof by contradiction, it can be shown that there is at most one point c in (a,b) satisfying f(c) = c. This is done by assuming the existence of two points d and e in (a,b) where f(d) = d and f(e) = e, and then applying the mean value theorem on the interval [d,e]. This leads to a contradiction and proves the statement.
dancergirlie

Homework Statement

Let f : (a, b)--> R be differentiable on (a,b), and assume that f'(x) unequal 1 for all x in (a,b).
Show that there is at most one point c in (a,b) satsifying f(c) = c.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that We need to use the mean value theorem for this problem.

This is what I know, but I'm not sure what I should use for my proof:
If we let c be n (a,b)
By definition f'(c)=lim: x-->c (f(x)-f(c)/x-c) assuming that f(x) is differentiable at c.

Also, the mean value theorem states that f[a,b]-->R is continuous on [a.b] and differentiable on (a,b), then there exists a point c in (a,b) so that f'(c)=f(b)-f(a)/b-a

Any help/hints would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a proof by contradiction. Suppose there are two points d and e in (a,b), where f(d)=d and f(e)=e. Then what does the mean value theorem tell you if you apply it on the interval [d,e]?

Thanks so much for the help!

1. What is the purpose of a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical tool used to measure the rate of change of a function. It helps us understand how a function is changing at a specific point, which is crucial in many real-world applications such as physics, economics, and engineering.

2. What is the process for finding the derivative of a function?

The process for finding the derivative of a function involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the input approaches zero. This limit gives us the instantaneous rate of change of the function at a specific point, also known as the slope of the tangent line.

3. How can the derivative of a function be used to find maximum and minimum points?

The derivative of a function can be used to find maximum and minimum points by setting the derivative equal to zero and solving for the input values. These input values correspond to the critical points of the function, where the slope of the tangent line is zero. By analyzing the sign of the derivative around these critical points, we can determine if they are maximum or minimum points.

4. Can the derivative of a function be negative?

Yes, the derivative of a function can be negative. This means that the function is decreasing at that point. The sign of the derivative tells us the direction of the function's change at a specific point. A positive derivative indicates an increasing function, while a negative derivative indicates a decreasing function.

5. Are there any rules or techniques for finding derivatives?

Yes, there are rules and techniques for finding derivatives. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the derivative of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts and applying the appropriate rule. There are also tables and formulas available for finding the derivatives of common functions.