1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Divergent Sequences

1. Sep 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the given sequence diverges to infinity.
    {an} = (-n^4+n^3+n)/(2n+7)

2. Relevant equations

Diverges definition

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have:

Let M>0 and let N= something.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what N should equal for the proof. I know I have to make the numerator smaller and denominator larger (I think), but I get confused. Can someone explain it please?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The first thing you must notice is with that minus sign in the numerator on the ##n^4## term, this isn't going to go to ##+\infty##. It will go to ##-\infty##. Let's call your fraction ##f(n)## for the moment. Start by writing the careful definition of the statement$$
    \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}f(n) = -\infty$$Then you will know what you must prove.

[Edit, added later]: Alternatively you could show ##|f(n)|\rightarrow \infty## and observe that ##f(n)<0## for large ##n##.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  4. Sep 21, 2012 #3
    Yes, I understand that it will diverge to negative infinity. I still need help understanding how to get the N for the proof. Can you help?

5. Sep 21, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't know if you saw may later edit, which is the method I would use. Given ##M>0##, to find ##N## you generally use an exploratory argument which is kind of working backwards with estimates. So start with$$
    \left | \frac{-n^4+n^3+n}{2n+7}\right |\ge ...$$and underestimate it to get something workable. I would start with the old calculus trick of dividing numerator and denominator by the highest power of ##n##. Then work on making the denominator larger and the numerator smaller to underestimate it with something that still goes to infinity.

[Edit]: Edited it twice. I had it right the first time. :frown:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  6. Sep 22, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For sufficiently large n, the highest degree term will dominate. For sufficiently large n, (-n^4+n^3+n)/(2n+7) will be approximately -(n^3)/2.

7. Sep 23, 2012 #6
    I'm sorry, I still don't understand how to write the proof for this divergent sequence. I have a similar problem done correctly I believe. Can someone help me write a proof like the following one, but for this sequence above??

Here is a similar lim, I think I have correctly proved.

{an}=(n^2+1)/(n-2)

Proof: Let M>0 and let N=2M. Then n>N implies 1/2n>M which implies (n^2+1)/(n-2)<n^2/2n=1/2n>M. Hence, lim n--> {an}=+∞.

8. Sep 23, 2012 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Did you try what I suggested? If so, how far have you gotten? Show us.

9. Sep 23, 2012 #8
    I get (-n^3/2). Then I"m not sure how to solve for the N that I need.

10. Sep 23, 2012 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have no idea where you got that but, as an example of solving for ##N##, you are given an ##M## and you want ##n^{3/2} > M## for ##n > N##. So solve the inequality ##n^{3/2} > M## for ##n## to see how large ##n## needs to be. Then choose ##N## so that if ##n>N## you can guarantee ##n## is as large as it needs to be to make it work.

11. Sep 23, 2012 #10
    I'm sorry, I meant (-n^3)/2. So do I set (-n^3)/2 > M and solve for n?

12. Sep 23, 2012 #11

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, same idea. You want the absolute value though: ##\frac{n^3}{2}>M##. So how big does ##n## need to be? What ##N## will work?

13. Sep 23, 2012 #12
    N>(2M)^1/3

Is that correct?

14. Sep 24, 2012 #13

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is how you determine how large N needs to be with an exploratory argument. Now, at this point, we have, if ##n>N## $$
    \left | \frac{-n^4+n^3+n}{2n+7}\right |\ge ...\hbox{ your steps here }...\ge n^{\frac 3 2}> M$$

To write up the argument you would phrase it like this: Given ##M>0## if ##n>(2M)^\frac 1 3## then$$
    \left | \frac{-n^4+n^3+n}{2n+7}\right |\ge ...\hbox{ your steps here }...\ge n^{\frac 3 2}> M$$Notice in this last paragraph, it looks like you magically came up with ##n>(2M)^\frac 1 3##, but it came from the exploratory argument.

I hope this has helped you understand the argument. Also note that since you never posted how you got the ##\frac {n^3} 2##, I am not vouching for your complete argument. I will leave that to you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook