The Importance of Analysis in Physics

In summary, the conversation revolves around the importance of taking an analysis class in mathematics for aspiring physicists. The speaker questions whether it is necessary to learn how to prove assumptions, or if it would be better to focus on actual physics. The other person suggests that it is a personal preference, but it would be beneficial for theoretical physicists to have a strong understanding of analysis. They also provide two ways of defining logarithms and exponential functions rigorously.
brocks
I'm an aspiring physicist who is just starting out with freshman courses, so let me apologize in advance if I say something really dumb, or unintentionally offend someone.

I found this forum several weeks ago, and in my reading of posts from mathematicians, I got the idea that "real math," as opposed to computation, begins with analysis courses.

I was reading my intro calculus text tonight, and it was proving that (x^r)' = rx^(r-1) for any real r, as opposed to just integer or rational r. The proof began by assuming that x^r is differentiable, and that the laws of logarithms hold for real exponents.

It sort of hit me that those were major and important assumptions, and would be hard to prove. And that an analysis class is where you would learn to prove them. And that I didn't need to know how to do that --- I see that it is very important to prove those assumptions, but I am perfectly happy to accept that pure mathematicians have proved them.

So am I correct in thinking that taking an analysis class to prove such assumptions would be akin to spending time doing all kinds of experiments to prove that energy and momentum really are conserved, i.e. not the best use of my time?

I see how important it is that *somebody* does it, but I'm thinking that once competent people have done it, there is no need for me to repeat it, at least not for hours and hours. It would be nice to do if I had infinite time, but it would not help my understanding of physics as much as spending the same amount of time on actual physics.

Obviously, I can see that learning rigorous proof techniques can help with any subject, and obviously I can see that going too far with "let somebody else do it" can result in superficial knowledge, but I'm assuming that the people who run universities make sure that the physics curriculum includes enough rigor and foundational material to handle that.

Is this a correct and practical attitude to take *for a physicist*, or am I missing something important?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what kind of physicist you intend to be. Experimental particle physicists for example don't usually care about these things. If you think you might want to be a theoretical physicist, you should try to understand them. It's definitely worth your time and effort to take an extra analysis course. If you're even thinking about becoming a mathematical physicist, you absolutely have to study analysis. Lots and lots of it.

brocks said:
I'm an aspiring physicist who is just starting out with freshman courses, so let me apologize in advance if I say something really dumb, or unintentionally offend someone.

I found this forum several weeks ago, and in my reading of posts from mathematicians, I got the idea that "real math," as opposed to computation, begins with analysis courses.

I was reading my intro calculus text tonight, and it was proving that (x^r)' = rx^(r-1) for any real r, as opposed to just integer or rational r. The proof began by assuming that x^r is differentiable, and that the laws of logarithms hold for real exponents.

It sort of hit me that those were major and important assumptions, and would be hard to prove. And that an analysis class is where you would learn to prove them. And that I didn't need to know how to do that --- I see that it is very important to prove those assumptions, but I am perfectly happy to accept that pure mathematicians have proved them.

So am I correct in thinking that taking an analysis class to prove such assumptions would be akin to spending time doing all kinds of experiments to prove that energy and momentum really are conserved, i.e. not the best use of my time?

I see how important it is that *somebody* does it, but I'm thinking that once competent people have done it, there is no need for me to repeat it, at least not for hours and hours. It would be nice to do if I had infinite time, but it would not help my understanding of physics as much as spending the same amount of time on actual physics.

Obviously, I can see that learning rigorous proof techniques can help with any subject, and obviously I can see that going too far with "let somebody else do it" can result in superficial knowledge, but I'm assuming that the people who run universities make sure that the physics curriculum includes enough rigor and foundational material to handle that.

Is this a correct and practical attitude to take *for a physicist*, or am I missing something important?

It's just personal preference. Generally applied and experimental physicists don't need that, but it is good for a theoretical physicists. This is just my guess, however.

By the way, I can answer your question about The proof began by assuming that x^r is differentiable, and that the laws of logarithms hold for real exponents. The most widely accepted two ways of defining logarithm and exponential rigorously and without circular reasoning are as follows:

1. Define log in terms of integral and exp as its inverse function.
[tex]\ln x=\int^x_1 \frac{1}{x}\,\mathrm{d}x[/tex]
2. Define exp in terms of series and log as its inverse
[tex]e^x=\sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{x^n}{n!} [/tex].

You can deduct all properties of these two functions on your own. It is pretty easy if you have learned integration and series.

Oh, by the way the second time, analysis is very hard.

1. What is Analysis for Physicists?

Analysis for Physicists is a branch of mathematics that focuses on the techniques and methods used to analyze physical systems and phenomena. It involves applying mathematical tools and concepts to understand and model the behavior of various physical systems.

2. Why is Analysis important for Physicists?

Analysis is crucial for physicists because it allows them to describe, understand, and predict the behavior of physical systems. It provides a rigorous framework for studying complex phenomena and making accurate predictions, which is essential for advancing our understanding of the natural world.

3. What are some common techniques used in Analysis for Physicists?

Some common techniques used in Analysis for Physicists include differential and integral calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra, Fourier analysis, and complex analysis. These tools are used to solve equations, model physical systems, and analyze data in various areas of physics.

4. How does Analysis relate to other branches of physics?

Analysis is closely related to other branches of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and quantum mechanics. It provides the mathematical foundation for these fields and allows physicists to make precise calculations and predictions about the behavior of physical systems.

5. What are some real-world applications of Analysis for Physicists?

Analysis for Physicists has many practical applications, including the design of new technologies, the development of new materials, and the understanding of fundamental physical laws and theories. It is also used in fields such as astrophysics, biophysics, and engineering to study and solve complex problems in various systems and phenomena.