1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis + Fubini's Theorem

1. Mar 1, 2006 #1
    hello,
    I am having trouble with this problem involving Fubini's Theorem. I have done a question already similar to this ( i will post it as well ), but this question is a bit different, which is causing the problem.

(question that i have completed)

Let f be the function on Rdefined by
    [tex] f(x)=\left{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if } x is rational \\0, & \mbox{ if } x is irrational \end{array}\right [/tex]
    show that [tex] \int f(x)dx [/tex] does not exist for any a<b
    (a and b are the endpoints for the integral)

sollution:
    consider inf sums and sup sums.

Inf sum: I = [tex] \sum_\alpha (inf f) \Delta x [/tex]

sup sum: S = [tex] \sum_\alpha (sup f) \Delta x [/tex]

inf-sum [tex]\leq \int f \leq [/tex] sup-sum

therefor by inspection
    inf f = 0 and sup f = 1
    therefor
    I = [tex] \int f_{inf} = \int 0dx = 0 [/tex]
    S = [tex] \int f_{sup} = \int 1dx = 1 [/tex]

so S-I cannot be made < [tex] \epsilon [/tex]

Let f be the function on [tex] R^2 [/tex] defined by

[tex] f(x)=\left{\begin{array}{cc}1,&\mbox{ if } x is rational/ and y =0, 1/2, or 1\\0, & \mbox otherwise\end{array}\right [/tex]

and R the square R = {(x,y) [tex] are in R^2: 0 \leq x \leq 1, 0\leq y \leq 1} [/tex] determine if the integral exists.

show that [tex] \int_R f(x)dxdy [/tex]
    ______
    that is the question... now it is similar to the one i have done but y is involved.. now im confused.. because does it make that much of a difference.
    i know i have to consider the inf and sup sums again. but what i dont know is the values of the inf and sup sums. Is it 0,1 again. any help is amazing and greatly appreciated.
    (in this problem instead of integrating once i would do it twice.. now would that give me 2 inf and 2 sup sums.. or somthing different?)

also if there is any confusion ill try to clear it up??
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME
    Adam

Last edited: Mar 1, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?