1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Analysis help

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If [itex]f:\mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] is such that for all [itex]r>0[/itex] there exists a continuous function [itex]g_r \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]|g_r (x) - f(x)| < r[/itex] for [itex]|x| < 1[/itex] then f is continuous at 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When [itex]|x| < \delta _g[/itex], [itex]|g_r (x) - g_r (0)| < \epsilon '[/itex] ...(1)
    When [itex]|x| < 1[/itex], [itex]|g_r (x) - f(x)| < r[/itex] , i.e. [itex]|f(x) - g_r (x)| < r[/itex] ...(2)
    [itex]|g_r(0) - f(0)| < r[/itex] ...(3)

Adding (1) and (2) gives [itex]|f(x) - g_r (0)| < \epsilon ' + r[/itex] ...(4)
    Adding (3) and (4) gives [itex]|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon ' + 2r[/itex]
    So when |x| is the [itex] \min\{1, \delta_g\}[/itex] , [itex]|f(x) - f(0)| < \epsilon[/itex]
    And by the previous result, we can say that f is continuous at 0.

Not sure whether its right for me to take the [itex]\delta = \min\{1, \delta_g\}[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. May 3, 2010 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

I think it is ok, though it doesn't make much sense to have delta greater than 1 anyway...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook