1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANALYSIS II: integration

1. Apr 21, 2008 #1
    Let [tex]A[/tex] be a rectangle in [tex]\mathbb{R}^k[/tex], [tex]B[/tex] be a rectangle in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex], [tex]Q=AxB[/tex]. If [tex]f:Q\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/tex] is a bounded function and [tex]\int_Q f[/tex] exists, show that [tex]\int_B f(x,y)[/tex] exists for every [tex]x\in A-D[/tex] where [tex]D[/tex] is a set of measure zero in [tex]\mathbb{R}^n[/tex].

I know that, for fixed [tex]x\in A[/tex], [tex]\int_B f(x,y)[/tex] exists if [tex]D_x=\{y\in B|f\mbox{ is discontinuous at }(x,y)\}[/tex] has measure zero.

A set has measure zero if, for any [tex]\epsilon>0[/tex], there exists a covering of that set by countably many rectangles [tex]D_1, D_2, ...[/tex] such that [tex]\sum_i v(D_i)<\epsilon[/tex] (where [tex]v(D_i)[/tex] is the volume of [tex]D_i[/tex]).

My idea was to let [tex]D[/tex] be the set of [tex]x\in A[/tex] such that [tex]D_x[/tex] does not have measure zero. Then, clearly, we have that [tex]\int_B f(x,y)[/tex] exists for [tex]x\in A-D[/tex]. Then I would only have to show that [tex]D[/tex] has measure zero. I would do this by showing that [tex]f[/tex] is not continuous at points in [tex]D[/tex] (obvious). Since [tex]f[/tex] is integrable over [tex]Q[/tex], [tex]D[/tex] must have measure zero in [tex]Q[/tex].

My problem is that I know that a set [tex]D[/tex] which does not have measure zero in [tex]A[/tex] might have measure zero in [tex]Q[/tex] (since [tex]Q[/tex] is in a higher dimension). Is this not the right approach?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?