1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis in PDE's?

1. Aug 24, 2011 #1
    Hey there, today my prof. said the next two lectures will be completely devoted to analysis in order to understand the PDE's we will be working with (We already derived the heat eq'n). We started off with sets today, not to bad; however, I was wondering how deep will we be going into analysis in order to understand the PDE's, so I could look up stuff (Seems like i'm the only student in the class without a heavy analysis background :X)?

We are using the book "Introduction to Partial Differential Equations with Applications by E. C. Zachmanoglou and Dale Thoe" and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers by Stanley Farlow".

Thanks for any help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2011 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since we cannot see your profs lesson plans there is no way to answer. Ask your prof.

4. Aug 25, 2011 #3
    Most of the real and complex analysis in PDE's is related to the Fourier Series, derivation of the Fourier Integrals, Dirichlet Kernel, Parseval's theroem, convergence and divergence of the sereis:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourier_series

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook