1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis - Inverse Functions

1. Sep 6, 2012 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data:
    Define f: ℝ→ℝ by f(x)=x^2. Find f^-1(T) for each of the following:

(a) T = {9}
    (b) T = [4,9)
    (c) T = [-4,9]

The attempt at a solution:
    So, the inverse of f should be f^-1(T)=+/-√(x). Therefor:

(a) f^-1(9)= +/- 3
    (b) f^-1(4)= +/- 2, f^-1(5)= +/- √(5), f^-1(6)= +/- √(6), f^-1(7)= +/- √(7), f^-1(8)= +/- 2√(2)
    (c) Assuming I did the above correct, I have no idea how to do this part because clearly √(x) is not going to have a real solution from [-4,-1]

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!
    James

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The function f(x) = x2, having the domain, , does not have an inverse function.

What f -1(T) refers to is called the "inverse image" of set T for the function f.

Does your textbook have a definition for the inverse image, f -1(T), where T is a set?

4. Sep 6, 2012 #3
    They have one, but it's about 2 sentences long. If I'm understanding correctly:

C [itex]\subseteq[/itex] A

So,

f: C → f(C) and, therefor

f^-1: f(C) → f^-1(C)

I might be abusing notation a bit on this, so please correct me.

What I don't understand is how exactly do I find f^-1 if it is not the inverse function?

5. Sep 7, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The very, very first proof I had to present before a class in graduate school had to do with "[itex]f^{-1}(X)[/itex]" for X a set. I did the whole proof assuming that f was invertible! Very embarassing!

hamonjj, these are sets- otherwise "[itex]f^{-1}[/itex]" for [itex]f(x)= x^2[/itex] wouldn't make sense.

The definition of [itex]f^{-1}(A)[/itex] for A a set is:
    [itex]f^{1}(A)= \{ x| f(x)\in A\}[/itex]. In particular, [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] of a set is a set. Yes, f(3)= 9 and f(-3)= 9 so that [itex]f^{-1}(9)= \{-3, 3\}[/itex]- be sure to write the answer as a set.

Why are you looking at integers only? We are talking about a function from R to R, not integers. f(2)= 4 and f(3)= 9. And if 2< x< 3 then 4< x^2< 9. f of any number between 2 and 3 is in this set- the interval [2, 3) is in this set (do you see why 3 is NOT in the set?). But it is also true that f(-2)= 4 and f(-3)= 9 so the interval (-3, 2] is in the set. [itex]f^{-1}[4, 9)= [2, 3)\cup (-3, 2][/itex].

For (c), there are NO (real) x such that f(x)< 0 so we can ignore the "-4" part. But any number from -3 to 3 will have square between 0 and 9 and so between -4 and 9.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook