1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Limit Point Proof

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let x [tex]\in[/tex] R, and let A [tex]\subset[/tex] R. Let (an) be a sequence with an [tex]\in[/tex] A and (an) [tex]\neq[/tex] x for all n [tex]\in[/tex] N, and assume
    that x = lim (an.) Prove that x is a limit point of A.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Suppose that x=lim(an). Meaning there exists a N [tex]\in[/tex] N so that for n[tex]\geq[/tex]N:
    |an-x|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex]

Which would make the [tex]\epsilon[/tex]- neighborhood of (an)= (an- [tex]\epsilon[/tex], an+ [tex]\epsilon[/tex])

After this I don't know what to do. I need to show that every epsilon neighborhood of V(x) intersects A in some point other than x.

Any tips would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    Careful, your e-neighborhood is off. Remember |a_n - x| < e means x - e < a_n < x + e or a_n is in (x - e, x + e). Now you know that a_n =/= x for each n, so what can you conclude.

Of course this proposition is an if and only if, but this direction is probably clearer since "all but a finitely many points" certainly implies "at least one".

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    alright so if the epsilon neighborhood is (x-e,x+e) and (an) is unequal to x for all n in N would that mean that for some N in N when n>=N that (an) is contained in the epsilon neighborhood. Which would mean that x is the limit point of (an)?

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4
    oh wait, nevermind, i think I got it. I was trying to make it more complicated than it really was. I am finding this whole open sets, closed sets and limit points idea kind of confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook