1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Math Questions

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    Prove using the multiplication axioms that if x is not zero, then 1 / (1/x) is equal to x.

Prove that there is no rational number, p, such that p^2 = 12

I know for all x there exists x^-1 such that xx^-1 = 1 but i don't know how to use that to prove the first one.

For the second one, I understand the proof for p^2 = 2 by contradiction by showing that it was not reduced to lowest term because both a and b in a/b turned out to be even, but i can't seem to duplicate the process for 12.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2
    For the first one, it's a good idea to show that multiplicative inverses are unique, but I don't think you need to (someone else will correct me if I'm wrong).

Basically, you need to first check that if x =/= 0, then (1/x) =/= 0. You can do this by contradiction. Then you basically apply the multiplicative inverse property to (1/x), and you can do this because you have established (1/x) =/= 0.

Eh, the duplication process should be the exact same thing. There are a lot of ways to do this since 12 has a few divisors. Suppose (a/b)^2 = 12, then a must be divisible by 12. So let a = 12k.

EDIT: Actually, it's somewhat important to show that multiplicative inverse are unique. Perhaps the easiest way to do this is by proving that if S is a field and x,y are elements of S with x =/= 0 and xy = 1 for all x,y, then y = x^-1. This follows almost immediately from the axiom.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    Thanks a lot. Maybe i'm just stupid, but why is "a" a multiple of 12? (a/b)^2 = 12, so a^2 is certainly a multiple of 12, but i'm not really convinced a is. are you using an axiom? if so which one or ones ? Thanks! ><

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    Hmmm, well a = 12k implies a2 = 144k2 = 12(12k2) so a2 is divisible by 12. Now we can let [tex] k \geq 1 [/tex], so that if a2 is divisible by 12, then a2 = 12(12k2) = (12k)2. Then it's easy to see that the converse holds as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?