1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis of mechanism, DOF, repeated bonds of mechanism

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    Analysis of mechanism, DOF, "repeated bonds" of mechanism

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The scheme is incomplete, nevertheless it is the way it is. It is required to determine the number of degrees of freedom for the given mechanism. Also, to find the number of "repeated bonds" (my english is poor) in this mechanism and remove it from the schematic. In other words - to simplify the mechanism by removing some of linkage without loosing any of its functionality.

2. Relevant equations

DOF: W=3*n-2*p1-p2
    n - number of links
    p1 - number of kinematic pairs of lower degree (1 DOF)
    p2 - number of kinematic pairs of higher degree (2 DOF)
    W - number of degrees of freedom

Repeated bonds:
    q=W-6*n+5*p1+4*p2
    q - number of repeated (unnecesary) bonds
    else given above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I find 10 links in the mechanism, and according to my calclulation there are 14 kinematic pairs of lower degree, so W=3*n-2*p1-p2=3*10-2*14-0=2. Now the number of repeated relations: q=W-6*n+5*p1+4*p2=2-6*10+5*14+4*0=12. Okay, but which? I suppose I don't have the engineer's eye on things like this. Please check the calculations, give your oppinion and suggest any links to remove in order to simplify the mechanism.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?