Struggling with Solving an RL Circuit Differential Equation?

In summary, Hallie is looking for help with solving equations for an RL circuit. She recognizes that the integrating factor is just e^{\frac{R}{L}t}, but doesn't know what Q is. She suggests trying [tex]I= A sin(\omega t)[/tex] and sees that A must be positive in order for the equation to hold.
SeReNiTy
Hi guys, I'm currently deriving all the equations provided by the my physics professor on the RL, RC and LCR circuits. My trouble is not the physics but the mathematics.

For example in the RL circuit the differential equation that needs to be solved is the following:

[tex] L\frac{dI}{dt} +IR = V_0\cos{wt} [/tex]

I reconize that you need a integrating factor, however the integral after that step seems ridiculous to solve, if you guys will just help me out with the right step to solve the RL circuit, I'm sure i can solve the rest with ease.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since that's a linear equation with constant coefficients, the integrating factor is just [itex]e^{\frac{R}{L}t}[/itex]. Multiplying the entire equation by that,
[tex]L\frac{de^{\frac{R}{L}t}I}{dt}= V_0e^{\frac{R}{L}t}cos(\omega t)[/tex]

Is it [itex]\int e^x cos(x) dx[/itex] that you are concerned about? That's a fairly standard "integration by parts" problem.

However, there's a fairly easy way to solve "linear equations with constant coefficients". First look at the "homogeneous part":
[tex]L\frac{dI}{dt}+ RI= 0[/tex]
That's separable:
[tex]L \frac{dI}{I}= -R dt[/tex]
so
[tex]L ln(I)= -Rt+ C[/tex]
or
[tex]I= Ce^{-\frac{R}{L}t[/itex]
Now just find anyone function that satisfies the entire equation and add to that general solution of the homogeneous part. I would suggest trying
[tex]I= A sin(\omega t)[/tex]
and seeing what A must be in order to satisfy the equation.

aren't you omitting a term proportional to [tex] Q [/tex] where Q is the charge of a system..in that case you would have a second-order differential equation of the form:

[tex] a \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2 } +b \frac{dy}{dx}+cy=dCos(wx) [/tex] taking into account that..

[tex] I=-\frac {dQ}{dt} [/tex]

:tongue2: :grumpy: :cool: :rolleyes: that seems to have more "physical" meaning (the circuit current is a dumped oscillator so the charges is getting smaller and smaller as [tex] Q(t)=Q_0 (t)e^{-\gamma t}Sin(\omega t) [/tex]

eljose said:
aren't you omitting a term proportional to [tex] Q [/tex] where Q is the charge of a system..
No. Not in a pure LR circuit - in the absence of capacitance.

Cheers hall, perfect help yet again. Yes the integral by parts is trivial, i guess i just let all those constants (R.L,V) confuse the trivial maths...

1. What is an RL circuit?

An RL circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and an inductor (L) connected in series. The resistor is responsible for limiting the flow of current, while the inductor stores energy in the form of a magnetic field.

2. How does an RL circuit work?

An RL circuit works by passing an alternating current (AC) through the inductor, which creates a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces a voltage in the inductor, which opposes the current flow. As a result, the current in the circuit gradually increases until it reaches a steady state, determined by the values of R and L.

3. What is the time constant of an RL circuit?

The time constant of an RL circuit is a measure of how quickly the current in the circuit reaches its steady state. It is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and the inductance (L) of the circuit, and is represented by the symbol 𝛕 (tau). A larger time constant means that it takes longer for the current to reach its steady state.

4. What is the difference between a series RL circuit and a parallel RL circuit?

In a series RL circuit, the resistor and inductor are connected in a series, meaning that the same current flows through both components. In a parallel RL circuit, the resistor and inductor are connected in parallel, meaning that the voltage across both components is the same. Additionally, the behavior of the two types of circuits is different, with a series RL circuit having a time-varying current and a parallel RL circuit having a time-varying voltage.

5. How is the analysis of an RL circuit useful?

The analysis of an RL circuit is useful in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits, as well as in designing and troubleshooting electronic devices. It can also be applied in various fields such as power systems, telecommunications, and control systems.