1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis - Powers of real numbers

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    Hey everyone!

This question came up in my analysis assignment, we're studying continuity and differentiability at the moment so I'm unsure of my answer! It seems too short :(

For a), it seems to follow immediately,

If [itex]mq = np[/itex] then [itex]m = \frac{np}{q}[/itex] and so we have
    [itex](x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m = (x^{\frac{1}{n}})^{\frac{np}{q}} = ((x^{\frac{1}{n}})^n)^{\frac{p}{q}} = (x^{\frac{p}{q}}) = x^{\frac{1}{n}} = (x^{\frac{1}{q}})^p[/itex] as required.

And b) is similar (there are too many exponents to latexify before my stuff gets stolen upstairs in the study floors).
    I went about it proving if [itex]a \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]m,n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] then [itex]a^{m+n} = {a^m}{a^n}[/itex] and [itex](a^m)^n = a^{mn}[/itex] by induction. (Can you use induction over m and n by doing it twice fixing m the first time and inducting over n and the second time fixing n?).

Or it's probably better to first prove, if [itex]m\in \mathbb{Z}, n \in \mathbb{N}, x \in (0,\infty)[/itex] then [itex]x^{\frac{m}{n}} = (x^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/itex].
    If [itex]x \in (0,\infty)[/itex] and [itex]m,n \in \mathbb{Z}[/itex] then [itex](x^m)^n = x^{mn} = (x^n)^m[/itex]. Now let [itex] y:=x^{\frac{m}{n}} = (x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m > 0[/itex]. So [itex]y^n = ((x^{\frac{1}{n}})^m)^n = ((x^{\frac{1}{n}})^n)^m = x^m[/itex]. Therefore it follows that [itex]y = (x^m)^{\frac{1}{n}}[/itex].

If we proved it for the naturals, how can we prove it for the rationals? It seems to follow naturally.

These analysis proofs seem so empty, although subtle. I have huge trouble sponging it all together into a valid proof.

Thanks a lot!
    -Gareth

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?