1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Problem Books

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    I am currently studying Vladimir A. Zorich's Mathematical Analysis 1 book. Can anyone suggest me a complementary problem book. Such book should preferably have challenging exercises and generally with full solution. I have already browse through Schuam's Outline series, but I couldn't find any book challenging enough.
    I greatly appreciate this help.
    Thank you for yours attention.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    One thing you can do with the book you have now (probably) is to look at a theorem that the book proves and try to prove it yourself before looking at the proof. If you are stuck you can look at the first line of the proof, then look at each successive line when you are still stuck. Since the proof is in the book you have the answers without needing a separate book.

5. Sep 9, 2011 #4
    Thank you Mr jbunniii, I will surely take a look at these books.
    Mr transphenomen, yours sugestion is really helpful & I will definintely tries to follow it. But one issue may that some time I am unable to understand what the theorem it self means until I read its proof & from there reading assumptions and how actually the author proves his theorem goes a long in clarifying it.

6. Sep 9, 2011 #5
    I'm not familiar with the book you're using, but with some books, the proofs presented are so concise and streamlined that all of the motivation for them is gone, and it would take a genius to see the next step. In fact, there is an anecdote about Gauss, who reportedly took some pride in the obscurity of his proofs. He replied to a complaint that his proofs gave no clues for their motivation, that an architect removes the scaffolding after completing a building.

So by all means, read the proofs a line at a time and try to see where they are going, but don't be too discouraged if you can't.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook