Analysis problem (sequences)-

In summary, the conversation revolved around an analysis problem involving sequences. The definition of t_n was provided and the goal was to prove that if the limit of s_n as n approaches infinity is s, then the limit of t_n as n approaches infinity is also s. However, the validity of this claim was questioned and it was suggested to use the epsilon-delta definition of a limit to solve the problem. It was also noted that the limit of t_n is not always zero, as demonstrated by a simple example.
philosophking
Analysis problem (sequences)--please help

Here is the definition:

t_n = [s_1 + s_2 + ... + s_n] / n ; n >/= 1

I have to show that if lim n-> [infinity] s_n = s, then lim n-> [infinity] t_n = s

First of all, I don't think it's true. Because if s is finite, then lim s/n as n-> [infinity] would be zero, right? And thus lim t_n as n-> [infinity] is zero, and they're not the same.

I'm just wondering how to go about this problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I would try it directly with the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

BTW, you should be able to convince yourself that the limit of t_n is not always zero by considering a simple example.

The analysis problem you have presented deals with sequences, specifically the limit of a sequence. In order to solve this problem, we need to understand the definitions and properties of limits and sequences.

A sequence is a list of numbers arranged in a specific order. In this case, the sequence is denoted by t_n and is defined as the average of the first n terms of another sequence, denoted by s_n. The average is calculated by adding all the terms and dividing by the number of terms.

A limit is the value that a sequence approaches as the number of terms increases. In this case, we are interested in the limit as n approaches infinity. This means that we are looking at the behavior of the sequence as the number of terms becomes larger and larger.

Now, let's look at the first statement: if lim n-> [infinity] s_n = s. This means that as n approaches infinity, the terms of the sequence s_n get closer and closer to the value s. In other words, the terms of the sequence s_n are approaching the limit s.

Next, we have to show that if this statement is true, then lim n-> [infinity] t_n = s. This means that if the terms of the sequence s_n are approaching the limit s, then the terms of the sequence t_n, which are the averages of the terms of s_n, are also approaching the limit s.

To prove this, we can use the definition of the limit. We have to show that for any small positive number ε, there exists a positive integer N such that for all n > N, the difference between t_n and s is less than ε. In other words, we have to show that t_n is getting closer and closer to s as n approaches infinity.

Since we know that lim n-> [infinity] s_n = s, we can choose a large enough N such that for all n > N, the difference between s_n and s is less than ε/2. This means that for all n > N, we have:

|s_n - s| < ε/2

Now, let's look at the definition of t_n:

t_n = [s_1 + s_2 + ... + s_n] / n

We can rewrite this as:

t_n = [(s_1 - s) + (s_2 - s) + ... + (s_n - s) + ns] / n

Notice that

1. What is an analysis problem?

An analysis problem is a task or challenge that involves examining a set of data or information in order to gain insights and make conclusions about it. It involves breaking down the data into smaller components, identifying patterns and relationships, and drawing meaningful conclusions from the data.

2. What is the importance of analyzing sequences?

Analyzing sequences is important for understanding patterns and trends in data. It can help identify underlying factors and relationships, make predictions about future outcomes, and inform decision making.

3. What are the steps involved in solving an analysis problem?

The steps involved in solving an analysis problem may vary depending on the specific problem and data set, but generally include defining the problem, collecting and organizing data, analyzing the data using appropriate techniques, and drawing conclusions and making recommendations based on the results.

4. What are some common techniques used for analyzing sequences?

Some common techniques for analyzing sequences include using mathematical formulas and algorithms, creating visual representations such as graphs and charts, and using statistical methods to identify patterns and relationships in the data.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving analysis problems?

To improve your skills in solving analysis problems, it is important to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with different techniques and tools for data analysis. It can also be helpful to seek out additional training or resources, such as online courses or workshops, to enhance your knowledge and skills in this area.