1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis problems

1. Nov 20, 2004 #1
    I am having some difficulty in understanding this problem.
    1. Prove that there is a real x, s.t x-|_ x _|=2 or that there isn't.
    (|_ x _|= m (element of) Z and m<=x<m+1.)

Read as, "the floor function of x is equal to m, element of Z(integers), and m is less than or equal to x, which is less than m+1.

How am i suppose to solve this problem, and what kind of definitions or facts can i use to solve this problem? Could someone tell me the steps that are required to solve this problem?

And this is the second problem.
    2. Show that there is a real x s.t. f(x)=x^5+x+1=0. f(x) is continuous because it is a polynomial. Let s be a real s.t. f(-s)<0<f(s). Then by I.V.T.(intermediate value theorem) there is at least one x in (0-s,0+s) s.t. f(x)=0 if f(-s)<0<f(s).

Could someone just clarify this for me, because i think i am able to do it, just dont understand on what to do first. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2004 #2
    LaTeX helps so much with these sorts of problems.

1. Is part of the text proposing solutions as well? subtracting m from each part of the inequality you have fetches 0<= x-m < 1 which shows that x - floor(x) = 2 doesn't have a solution.

4. Nov 21, 2004 #3
    Well not really, no solutions are given. I just dont understand how the floor functions work. And like you said for 1. it doesn't have a solution, then what do i have to say in the proof to prove that it has no solution.

5. Nov 21, 2004 #4
    Anyone know how to do the second problem, urgent help needed.

6. Nov 22, 2004 #5
    Hint for Q2: what's f(1) and f(-1)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?