1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Proof

1. Sep 5, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if x in R and epsilon > 0 are arbitrary, then there exist r in Q such that |x - r | < epsilon

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm stumped on this one. I tried using the reverse triangle inequality, but I seemingly hit dead ends with it.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2011 #2
    Can you use the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals? This means that any real number can be approximated by a rational number.

4. Sep 5, 2011 #3
    I know what you are saying, but how do I write that (this is my first proofs class).

By the denseness of Q, you can say that epsilon < p < q < ... < r < x

But I'm not sure how you get the inequality in there. Feel like I'm missing something

5. Sep 5, 2011 #4
    The assumption is that you are given an [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and an [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex]. Using the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals, any real number can be approximated by a rational number. In other words, there exists a [itex]r \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that [itex]r[/itex] is arbitrarily close to [itex]x[/itex], or [itex]|x - r| < \varepsilon[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook