Proving Existence of Rationals: x in R & ε>0

• Thread starter Zhalfirin88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Existence
In summary: Therefore, for any x \in \mathbb{R} and \varepsilon > 0, there exists a rational number r such that |x - r| < \varepsilon. In summary, using the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals, it can be proven that for any given real number x and a positive number epsilon, there exists a rational number r that is arbitrarily close to x, or |x - r| < epsilon. This shows that the statement is true.
Zhalfirin88

Homework Statement

Prove that if x in R and epsilon > 0 are arbitrary, then there exist r in Q such that |x - r | < epsilon

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stumped on this one. I tried using the reverse triangle inequality, but I seemingly hit dead ends with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you use the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals? This means that any real number can be approximated by a rational number.

I know what you are saying, but how do I write that (this is my first proofs class).

By the denseness of Q, you can say that epsilon < p < q < ... < r < x

But I'm not sure how you get the inequality in there. Feel like I'm missing something

Zhalfirin88 said:
I know what you are saying, but how do I write that (this is my first proofs class).

By the denseness of Q, you can say that epsilon < p < q < ... < r < x

But I'm not sure how you get the inequality in there. Feel like I'm missing something

The assumption is that you are given an [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] and an [itex]\varepsilon > 0[/itex]. Using the fact that the rationals are dense in the reals, any real number can be approximated by a rational number. In other words, there exists a [itex]r \in \mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that [itex]r[/itex] is arbitrarily close to [itex]x[/itex], or [itex]|x - r| < \varepsilon[/itex].

1. What does it mean to prove the existence of rationals?

Proving the existence of rationals means to show that there are numbers that can be expressed as a ratio of two integers. In other words, they can be written in the form of a/b, where a and b are integers and b is not equal to 0.

2. How can we prove the existence of rationals?

One way to prove the existence of rationals is by using the Archimedean property, which states that for any real number x, there exists a positive integer n such that n>x. This can be used to show that between any two real numbers, there exists a rational number.

3. What is the significance of proving the existence of rationals?

Proving the existence of rationals is important in mathematics as it helps to establish the completeness of the real numbers. It also allows us to express and compare real numbers in a more precise and concise way.

4. Is it possible to prove the existence of rationals using geometric methods?

Yes, it is possible to prove the existence of rationals using geometric methods. One example is the Euclidean algorithm, which uses geometric constructions to find the greatest common divisor of two integers, and thus, express them as a ratio of two integers.

5. Can proving the existence of rationals be applied to other areas of mathematics?

Yes, proving the existence of rationals has applications in various areas of mathematics, such as number theory, algebra, and geometry. It also has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.