1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis Question

1. Sep 23, 2006 #1
    Guys I would appreciate any help on this. I've been trying to find an example of a collection of closed intervals of R that is uncountable. I proved that if I take a collection of open intervals of R and bijectively map them to Z, then the collection is countable, and I would assume the same with a collection of closed intervals, but clearly there must be an example where that doesnt happen and I don't understand why my logic on the collection of open sets cannot be extended to the collection of closed sets. Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

The collection { [0,a] | a[itex]\in[/itex]A}, where A is a subset of (0,[itex]\infty[/itex]), can be put in a bijection with A.
  4. Sep 23, 2006 #3

I forgot to mention the closed sets have to be disjoint.
  5. Sep 23, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Well then you could always take points as your closed intervals. It is not possible to form an uncountable set of disjoint closed intervals, each of finite length.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?