Solved: Analysis Question - Show Exists Interval f(x)>0

• Thread starter Math_Geek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the problem states that given a continuous function f from the set of real numbers to the set of real numbers, and a point a where f(a) is greater than zero, we need to show that there exists an interval I around a where f(x) is also greater than zero for all x in that interval. To prove this, we can use the definition of continuity and choose an epsilon that satisfies 0 < epsilon < f(a) - 0. From there, we can show that 0 < f(a) - epsilon < f(x) for all x in the interval (a - delta, a + delta), where delta is defined as a function of epsilon. This proves that f(x) is greater than zero
Math_Geek
[SOLVED] Analysis Question

Homework Statement

Let f:Reals to Reals be a continuous at x=a, and further suppose f(a)>0. Show there exists an interval I about x=a such that f(x)>0 for all x in I.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the defn of continuity but I am not sure how to show this interval exists.
I need HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
well, this is quite easy to show, just use the definition of the limit, and chose epsylon in such a manner that it will allow you to do this. i.e [tex]0<\epsilon<f(a)-0[/tex].

[tex]\forall\epsilon>0, \ \ also \ \ for 0<\epsilon<f(a),\exists\delta(\epsilon)>0[/tex] such that

[tex]|f(x)-f(a)|<\epsilon, \ \ whenever \ \ 0<|x-a|<\delta[/tex] so from here we have:

[tex] -\epsilon<f(x)-f(a)<\epsilon =>f(a)-\epsilon<f(x)<f(a)+\epsilon[/tex] but look now how we chose our epsilon, [tex]\epsilon<f(a)=>f(a)-\epsilon>0[/tex] so, eventually

[tex]0<f(a)-\epsilon<f(x), \ \ whenever, \ \ \ xE(a-\delta,a+\delta[/tex].

hope this helps.

Last edited:
wow thanks

Math_Geek said:
wow thanks
Yeah, but make sure next time to show some work of yours!.

how do I know it is in the interval around a?

Math_Geek said:
how do I know it is in the interval around a?

But notice that x is from the interval [tex] (a-\delta,a+\delta)[/tex] which actually includes a. MOreover, it works only for that interval around a, for other intervals we are not sure.

Last edited:

1. What is the meaning of "exists interval f(x)>0" in the analysis question?

The phrase "exists interval f(x)>0" indicates that there is a specific range of values for the variable x in which the function f(x) is greater than zero. In other words, there is at least one interval where the function has a positive value.

2. How is the existence of such an interval determined?

The existence of an interval where f(x)>0 can be determined by analyzing the behavior of the function on a graph or by solving the inequality f(x)>0 algebraically. This can be done by finding the critical points of the function and determining the intervals where the function is positive.

3. Why is it important to determine the existence of an interval where f(x)>0?

Knowing the existence of an interval where f(x)>0 can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. It can indicate where the function is increasing or decreasing, as well as where it crosses the x-axis (i.e. where the function equals zero).

4. Can there be more than one interval where f(x)>0?

Yes, there can be multiple intervals where f(x)>0. This means that the function has multiple points where it has a positive value. These intervals may be adjacent or separate.

5. How is the existence of an interval where f(x)>0 related to the overall behavior of the function?

The existence of an interval where f(x)>0 is related to the overall behavior of the function in that it provides information about the positivity of the function. This can help determine the overall trend of the function, such as whether it is increasing or decreasing, and can also be useful in finding the maximum or minimum values of the function.