1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis, silly question

1. Mar 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given a convergent sequence:
    [tex]a_n \rightarrow a[/tex]
    and a continuous function:
    [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow\mathbb{R}[/tex]
    show that there exists an [tex]N\in\mathbb{N}[/tex] such that [tex]\forall n>N[/tex]:
    [tex]f(a_n)\geq\frac{f(a)}{2}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Usual definitions for limit of a sequence and continuous function.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried playing around with it but I really don't understand what to do, I know its an easy question and I feel pretty stupid but I'm stuck. Can anyone just get me started on this one?
    So far I've rearranged it so it looks like:
    [tex]f(a)-f(a_n)\leq f(a_n)[/tex]
    Which sort of looks like a limit without the abs values...
    I figure that the function of a sequence is a sequence again, btu what am I trying to say here? That it is a divergent sequence?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2009 #2
    False. Let f(x) = -1 (constant function). Let a_n =0 for all n. Here, f(a_n)=f(0)=-1 <-1/2 for all n, yet a_n:n=1,2,.... converges in the domain if f.
    [Is there another condition?]

4. Mar 31, 2009 #3
    Sorry, sorry, yes there is another condition:
    [tex]f(a)>0[/tex]

5. Mar 31, 2009 #4
    To not give the answer away, I would just suggest that the problem is now a matter of
    fitting into the \epsilon - \delta definition of continuous functions. Note that f(a)/2 < f(a).

6. Apr 1, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Take [itex]\epsilon> a/2[/itex] in the definition of "continuous function".

7. Apr 2, 2009 #6
    whaaaa.? So much for the 'for all epsilon >0' part. Whaaa? Well, not my problem anyway....

8. Apr 2, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, "For all epsilon> 0", something is true so it is true for any specific value of epsilon. Here we are given that f is continuous so we are free to choose any value of epsilon we like.

9. Apr 2, 2009 #8
    I have an answer now, basically because [tex]a_n\rightarrow a[/tex] and f is continuous then [tex]f(a_n)\rightarrow f(a)[/tex], so there exists n bigger than N such that [tex]|f(a_n)-f(a)|<\epsilon[/tex] so then just choose [tex]\epsilon = f(a)/2[/tex] do some rearranging and the inequality pops out.

In other words, [tex]f(a_n)[/tex] is a convergent sequence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook