Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis textbook

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Cheers, my dear friends of the physicsforums community!

I'm taking a course in mathematical analysis, and it's really giving me something of a headache. To be honest I find the assigned textbook very difficult to read, and I was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions for a supplementary book.

As this is real analysis it should cover topics like the fundamental axiom, the supremum, Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, uniform convergence, metric spaces etc.

The textbook of the course (and the curriculum) is T.W Körners 'A Companion To Analysis'.
    http://www.ams.org/bookstore-getitem/item=gsm-62

Hope someone can give some nice suggestions, and I will order it from amazon ASAP. :)
    May the force be with you!
    - Gandalf

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    There was a thread on this subject involving complex analysis a couple of months ago. Search under my name (wildman). I picked RR Boas and it was a very good choice.

But I hear you on the difficulty of some textbooks. I'm trying to take a stochastic process class and I'm about ready to give up. I have read the textbook over and over and it doesn't make sense. What the instructor says is very clear, but the textbook is impossible.

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the tip.

Exactly the case!

I usually don't follow the classes, and just do a super-reading the last month before the exams. Good thing I decided to try the classes for a change, or I would have been in for a nasty surprise! ;)

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4
    what's wrong with koerner's book?! he's my supervisor and he rocks!

6. Feb 19, 2008 #5
    I'm sure he's great, it's just that I find the book hard to read.

It's a difficult subject after all...

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6
    I suppose so. I have to say i agree. You could try Michael Spivak's Calculus

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7
    Except that this is not an analysis book.

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

so what? if you can learn analysis from it, thats what matters, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?