Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis textbook

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Cheers, my dear friends of the physicsforums community!

I'm taking a course in mathematical analysis, and it's really giving me something of a headache. To be honest I find the assigned textbook very difficult to read, and I was hoping someone here could give me some suggestions for a supplementary book.

As this is real analysis it should cover topics like the fundamental axiom, the supremum, Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, uniform convergence, metric spaces etc.

The textbook of the course (and the curriculum) is T.W K├Ârners 'A Companion To Analysis'.
    http://www.ams.org/bookstore-getitem/item=gsm-62

Hope someone can give some nice suggestions, and I will order it from amazon ASAP. :)
    May the force be with you!
    - Gandalf

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    There was a thread on this subject involving complex analysis a couple of months ago. Search under my name (wildman). I picked RR Boas and it was a very good choice.

But I hear you on the difficulty of some textbooks. I'm trying to take a stochastic process class and I'm about ready to give up. I have read the textbook over and over and it doesn't make sense. What the instructor says is very clear, but the textbook is impossible.

4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    Thanks for the tip.

Exactly the case!

I usually don't follow the classes, and just do a super-reading the last month before the exams. Good thing I decided to try the classes for a change, or I would have been in for a nasty surprise! ;)

5. Feb 17, 2008 #4
    what's wrong with koerner's book?! he's my supervisor and he rocks!

6. Feb 19, 2008 #5
    I'm sure he's great, it's just that I find the book hard to read.

It's a difficult subject after all...

7. Feb 20, 2008 #6
    I suppose so. I have to say i agree. You could try Michael Spivak's Calculus

8. Feb 20, 2008 #7
    Except that this is not an analysis book.

9. Feb 20, 2008 #8

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

so what? if you can learn analysis from it, thats what matters, right?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook