1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analysis to try and find the required sections for a telescopic beam

Tags:
  1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi all. This is for a piece of Design coursework to design a rowing machine. I want to have the central beam the seat slides on be constructed from four individual beams the can telescope down, each with a single welded support. I'm really struggling on starting my (probably rather basic) analysis. The first step is to make a free body diagram but I am confused as to whether I should take the beam as a whole or as each individual section. Can anybody offer any tips?
    The main problem I have just now is that if I take each individual beam as a section they only have one point of support (imagine an L rotated by 90°) surely any analysis would result in it tipping over. Also do I apply the force of the user 1090.9N to each section individually as in reality that force is only applied once across all four beams

2. Relevant equations
    Just now I don't have any as until I get to shear force and bending moment diagrams its all graphical techniques or trigonometry. Eventually I think I use σ=My/I (the engineers bending formula) but thats later on

3. The attempt at a solution
    I sketched the free body intially as the outline of the entire frame, but now I'm confused as to whether I have drawn it correctly
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?