1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Analytic Complex Functions

1. Sep 27, 2010 #1

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The following are pieces of analytic functions of the form f(z)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y). Find the missing pieces.

a) [tex]u(x,y)=x^2-y^2+x+2[/tex]

Find v, and f.

b) [tex]v(x,y)=\sqrt{\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{x^2+y^2}-x)}[/tex]

Find u, and f.

c) [tex]f(z)=tan^{-1}(z)[/tex]

Find u, v.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, I have no idea what to even start with...I don't understand why if u is given, then v is somehow constricted... (or vice versa). What's to say that v can't be any random function? I get that if f is given, then obviously u and v are given (although even the third part completely eludes me).

Someone help me start this problem please?

BTW, the professor has posted solutions online, but I don't understand them at all, so I was hoping you guys could help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2010 #2
    Do you know what a harmonic conjugate is ? You need to know what it is to solve your problem.

A function is analytic on a domain iff u is the harmonic conjugate of v.

4. Sep 27, 2010 #3

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh...I know what a complex conjugate is...I don't think I've ever heard of a harmonic conjugate...

5. Sep 27, 2010 #4
    Well open up your book or look it up online. If you still need help after that then post again.

6. Sep 27, 2010 #5

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The professor said that the books were only recommended and not mandatory...so I thought that his lecture notes would cover everything...apparently they do not? >__> Ok wikipedia here I come...

7. Sep 27, 2010 #6
    Go read Wikipedia on Complex Analisys.
    In the first 15 rows or so there is a strong hint for you, which will bring you to another page. There you have the solution.

8. Sep 27, 2010 #7
    Well you could also use the cauchy-riemann equations to find v when given u.

9. Sep 27, 2010 #8

What if you read a book that states that "book are mandatory and professors are not ?"

Find a good book, or google everything, please.

10. Sep 27, 2010 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, no need to be hostile...o_O

I didn't get a book and it's now too late to buy a book for this problem haha. I do own a book on this stuff, but it's inaccessible to me at the moment. I will try to get a book soon.

11. Sep 27, 2010 #10
    No intention to be hostile.... :)

12. Sep 27, 2010 #11
    Haha...I like you and your humor :)

If you know the cauchy riemann equations, simply equate the derievatives and integrate to solve for u or v.

13. Sep 27, 2010 #12

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, I get how they will help me find v from u or u from v. But what about the last one? Any hints on that? I can't simply split off the real and imaginary parts of that function in any method that I know of...

14. Sep 27, 2010 #13
    For the last one artan (z) is defined in terms of the logarithm and you may be able to split the fuction into real and imaginary parts but I am not sure if it will work out.

You could always differential arctan(z) and write down u and v for the derievative and then integrate back but there might be some issues with points where the functions are not defined.

15. Sep 28, 2010 #14
    I still don't see any solution... :)

[tex]u(x,y)=x^2-y^2+x+2[/tex]

[tex]u_x= 2x+1[/tex]
    [tex]u_y= -2y[/tex]

[tex]v_y = u_x = 2x+1[/tex]
    [tex]v_x = -u_y= 2y[/tex]

mmmmmm.... feels like [tex]v(x,y) = 2xy+y[/tex]

16. Sep 28, 2010 #15

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yea I got part 1 and 2...(sort of cheated on 2...looked at the solutions to see the hint of transforming to polar coordinates haha)

Thanks for the help. =)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook