How Do You Find an Analytic Function Where the Argument is xy?

In summary, to find an analytic function with an argument of xy, we can use the Cauchy-Riemann conditions and polar Cauchy-Riemann conditions to get a system of partial differential equations. Solving these equations results in an analytic function of the form f(z)=Ce^{\frac{z^2}{2}} where C is a constant. This method does not require previous knowledge of solving Laplace's equation.
DianaSagita
1. This is something from complex analysis: Find the analytic function f(z)= f(x+iy) such that arg f(z)= xy.

2. [tex]w=f(z)=f(x+iy)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y) (*), w=\rho e^{i\theta} (**)[/tex]

Here are the Cauchy-Riemann conditions...
[tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial y},\,\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}=-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

And polar Cauchy-Riemann conditions...
[tex]\rho\frac{\partial u}{\partial \rho}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial \theta},\,\rho\frac{\partial v}{\partial \rho}=-\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Also what might be helpful - Re and Im part of analytic function are harmonic functions, so:
[tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}=0[/tex]
(Laplace's differential equation)

3. Next what I tried to do (if it's correct)...

I transformed (*) to (**) so,

[tex]w=\sqrt{u^2+v^2} e^{i atan\frac{v}{u}}[/tex]

[tex]atan\frac{v}{u}=xy[/tex]

[tex]v=u\,tan(xy)[/tex]

[tex]w=u\sqrt{1+tan^2(xy)} e^{i xy}= \frac{u(x,y)}{cos(xy)} e^{i xy}=u(x,y)+i[u(x,y) tan(xy)][/tex]

[tex]{u_x^'}={u_y^'}tan(xy)+\frac{x u}{cos^2(xy)}[/tex]

Now, I assume I got to get system of partial differential equations (by using second condition)...
Is this ok, and is there any easier way of getting analytical function?
Main thing that confuses me is the given argument which is included in real and imaginary part...
Pls help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I must find modulo...
and this one you entered is not analytical function... :(

DianaSagita said:
[tex]atan\frac{v}{u}=xy[/tex]

[tex]v=u\,tan(xy)[/tex][/b]
From here and sticking with Cartesian coordinates, writing out v_y and equating with u_x, and writing out v_x and equating with -u_y. gives two equations; then substituting (for instance) u_y from the second equation into the first gives a PDE for u_x (notice there is some cancellation) which can then be solved for u in terms of an arbitrary function of y. Proceeding this way gives the desired analytic function. This is not to say that using previous results from solving Laplace's equation you may be familiar with are not helpful, but they are not necessary.

Thanks, and that's what I did... now I got...

[tex]u=e^{-{\frac{y^2}{2}}}cos(xy)C_1[/tex]
solving by [tex]u_y^'[/tex]

[tex]u=e^{\frac{x^2}{2}}cos(xy)C_2[/tex]
solving by [tex]u_x^'[/tex]
[tex]C_1,C_2[/tex] constants
[tex]C_1=e^{D_1},C_2=e^{D_2}[/tex]
so I have functions...

[tex]f(z)=e^{D_1-\frac{y^2}{2}+ixy}[/tex]

[tex]f(z)=e^{D_2+\frac{x^2}{2}+ixy}[/tex]

How two? Now I really... :(

Last edited:
I've got it!

[tex]f(z)=e^{D_1(x)+D_{1num}-\frac{y^2}{2}+ixy}[/tex]

[tex]f(z)=e^{D_2(y)+D_{2num}+\frac{x^2}{2}+ixy}[/tex]

so...
[tex]D_1(x)+D_{1num}-\frac{y^2}{2}=D_2(y)+D_{2num}+\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]
[tex]D_1(x)=\frac{x^2}{2}[/tex]
[tex]D_2(y)=-\frac{y^2}{2}[/tex]
[tex]D_{1num}=D_{2num}=D[/tex]

and analytical function is:

[tex]f(z)=e^{D+\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{y^2}{2}+ixy}=Ce^{\frac{z^2}{2}}[/tex]

1. What is an analytic function in complex analysis?

An analytic function in complex analysis is a function that is differentiable at every point in a given complex domain. This means that the function can be represented by a power series, and its derivatives exist at every point within the domain.

2. How do you determine if a function is analytic?

To determine if a function is analytic, you can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which state that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the real and imaginary components of the complex variable must satisfy certain conditions. If these conditions are met, the function is analytic.

3. What is the difference between an analytic function and a holomorphic function?

An analytic function is a function that is differentiable at every point in a given complex domain. A holomorphic function, on the other hand, is a function that is analytic and also has a derivative at every point in the domain. Therefore, all holomorphic functions are analytic, but not all analytic functions are holomorphic.

4. What are some examples of analytic functions?

Some examples of analytic functions include polynomials, exponential functions, trigonometric functions, and rational functions. These functions are differentiable at every point in their domain, making them analytic.

5. How are analytic functions used in real-world applications?

Analytic functions are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to model and solve problems involving complex variables. They are also used in economics and finance to analyze and predict market trends, as well as in signal processing for data analysis and image reconstruction.