1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic function (complex analysis) help needed pls!

1. Jan 3, 2009 #1
    1. This is something from complex analysis: Find the analytic function f(z)= f(x+iy) such that arg f(z)= xy.

2. [tex]w=f(z)=f(x+iy)=u(x,y)+iv(x,y) (*), w=\rho e^{i\theta} (**)[/tex]

Here are the Cauchy-Riemann conditions...
    [tex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial y},\,\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}=-\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}[/tex]

And polar Cauchy-Riemann conditions...
    [tex]\rho\frac{\partial u}{\partial \rho}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial \theta},\,\rho\frac{\partial v}{\partial \rho}=-\frac{\partial u}{\partial \theta}[/tex]

Also what might be helpful - Re and Im part of analytic function are harmonic functions, so:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2u}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial y^2}=0[/tex]
    (Laplace's differential equation)

3. Next what I tried to do (if it's correct)...

I transformed (*) to (**) so,

[tex]w=\sqrt{u^2+v^2} e^{i atan\frac{v}{u}}[/tex]

[tex]w=u\sqrt{1+tan^2(xy)} e^{i xy}= \frac{u(x,y)}{cos(xy)} e^{i xy}=u(x,y)+i[u(x,y) tan(xy)][/tex]

[tex]{u_x^'}={u_y^'}tan(xy)+\frac{x u}{cos^2(xy)}[/tex]

Now, I assume I got to get system of partial differential equations (by using second condition)...
    Is this ok, and is there any easier way of getting analytical function?
    Main thing that confuses me is the given argument which is included in real and imaginary part...
    Pls help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2009 #2
    Well, I must find modulo...
    and this one you entered is not analytical function... :(
  4. Jan 3, 2009 #3
    From here and sticking with Cartesian coordinates, writing out v_y and equating with u_x, and writing out v_x and equating with -u_y. gives two equations; then substituting (for instance) u_y from the second equation into the first gives a PDE for u_x (notice there is some cancellation) which can then be solved for u in terms of an arbitrary function of y. Proceeding this way gives the desired analytic function. This is not to say that using previous results from solving Laplace's equation you may be familiar with are not helpful, but they are not necessary.
  5. Jan 4, 2009 #4
    Thanks, and that's what I did... now I got...

solving by [tex]u_y^'[/tex]

solving by [tex]u_x^'[/tex]
    [tex]C_1,C_2[/tex] constants
    so I have functions...

How two? Now I really... :(
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. Jan 4, 2009 #5
    I've got it!

and analytical function is:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?