1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Function Derivative

1. Jun 6, 2005 #1

sat

Take [itex]x=r\cos\theta[/itex] and [itex]y=r\sin\theta[/itex]

If [itex]f(z)=u(r,\theta) + iv(r,\theta)[/itex], is analytic with u and v real, show that the derivative is given by
    [tex]f'(z) = \left( \cos\theta \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}- \sin\theta\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\right) + i\left( \cos\theta\frac{\partial v}{\partial r} - \sin\theta\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial v}{\partial\theta} \right)[/tex]

Since f is analytic, I use the result
    [tex]f'(z)=\frac{\partial u}{\partial x} + i\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]
    Though this seems to give
    [tex]f'(z) = \left( (1/\cos\theta) \frac{\partial u}{\partial r}- (1/\sin\theta)\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\right) + i\left( (1/\cos\theta)\frac{\partial v}{\partial r} - (1/\sin\theta)\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial v}{\partial\theta} \right)[/tex]

Can anyone see why this isn't correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How did you apply the chain rule...?I think there's a problem with that.

Daniel.

4. Jun 6, 2005 #3

sat

I just did:

du/dx = (du/dr)(dr/dx) + (du/dtheta)(dtheta/dx)

though I think that's probably not quite right when I think about the dependence of the variables on eachother...

Though the "units" look OK at first sight, I'm not sure that I can do that.

5. Jun 6, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Here's where you went wrong

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial u}{\partial r}\frac{\partial r}{\partial x}+\frac{\partial u}{\partial\theta}\frac{\partial\theta}{\partial x} [/tex] (1)

[tex] \frac{\partial r}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}=\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}}=\frac{r\cos\theta}{r}=\cos\theta [/tex] (2)

Can u do the other derivative...?

Daniel.

6. Jun 6, 2005 #5

sat

Thanks. I'll look at that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?