Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Function

1. Dec 9, 2007 #1
    A theorem states:

A continuously differentiable function f(z) is analytic iff the differential f(z)dz is closed.

Isn't continuously differentiable the DEFINITION of analytic?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Dec 9, 2007 #3
    But nevertheless it must be equivalent to "continuously differentiable". This theorem seems to say that "an analytic function is analytic iff the differential fdz is closed".
  5. Dec 9, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Different texts my have different definitions of the same object or property. A definition in one text can be a result in another.
  6. Dec 9, 2007 #5
    The definition given in my text is "a function f(z) is analytic on the open set U if f(z) is complex differentiable at each point of U and the complex derivative f'(z) is continuous on U."

A while later came the theorem "a continuously differentiable function f(z) on a domain D is analytic iff the differential f(z)dz is closed."

I see circularity here.

(We're talking about complex functions here)
  7. Dec 10, 2007 #6
    What does the proof say?
  8. Dec 11, 2007 #7
    "Left as exercise."
  9. Dec 13, 2007 #8
    "Continuously differentiable" is not the same as "complex differentiable," as far as I know. Make sure you've checked how the book defines those terms, and what sort of function you're looking at.

If a function is complex analytic, then it is smooth (ie ANY derivative is continuous, not just the first one). Generally "continuously differentiable" only means the first derivative is continuous (but maybe your book is different). If a function is real-analytic, the usual definition is that the Taylor series at any point converges to the function in a neighborhood of that point, or something like that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?