1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic functions proofs.

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1
    i need to prove that if f and and g are analytic functions in (-a,a) then so is fg.

well basically i need to find the radius of convergence of fg, which its coefficient is: [tex]c_n=\sum_{i=0}^{n} b_i*a_{n-i}[/tex], by using cauchy hadamard theorom for finding the radius of convergence, and to show that it's not greater than a.
    well limsup |c_n|^1/n, then [tex]c_n=a_0b_n+...+a_nb_0[/tex]
    now i think that [tex](c_n)^{\frac{1}{n}}<= ((n+1)(\max_{n \in N}(|a_n|,||b_n|))^2)^{1/n}[/tex]
    i think this inequality also applies to alternating sequences.
    anyway i dont know how bound it below.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2007 #2
    wait a minute i think that's enough iv'e shown that the radius cannot be greater than a.
    stupid me. (-;

4. Apr 17, 2007 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But this isn't true. If f is analytic in some region, then gf is analytic in that region if f maps into some region in which g is analytic. And the converse is certainly false.

5. Apr 17, 2007 #4

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He's talking about the product of f and g, not the composition.

6. Apr 17, 2007 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ah! Now why didn't I think of that? (Suggestions not necessary.)

7. Apr 18, 2007 #6
    yes im talking of the prodcut.
    anyway, i think this appraoch of mine isn't correct.
    i think that bassically in order to prove it you need to use here cauchy's product.
    i.e if two partial sums f_n and g_n converges absolutely then also their cauchy's product converges absolutely.
    bassically here we assume that both g and f converges in 0<r<a, in [-r,r] they converge absolutely so also their cauchy product converges absolutely at [-r,r].
    is this better than my other obvoiusly faulty answer?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?