Proving Analyticity of Product of Analytic Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that the product of two analytic functions, f and g, is itself an analytic function. The method of using Cauchy's product and converging partial sums is suggested as a way to prove this. It is also mentioned that the converse of this statement is not true.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
i need to prove that if f and and g are analytic functions in (-a,a) then so is fg.

well basically i need to find the radius of convergence of fg, which its coefficient is: [tex]c_n=\sum_{i=0}^{n} b_i*a_{n-i}[/tex], by using cauchy hadamard theorom for finding the radius of convergence, and to show that it's not greater than a.
well limsup |c_n|^1/n, then [tex]c_n=a_0b_n+...+a_nb_0[/tex]
now i think that [tex](c_n)^{\frac{1}{n}}<= ((n+1)(\max_{n \in N}(|a_n|,||b_n|))^2)^{1/n}[/tex]
i think this inequality also applies to alternating sequences.
anyway i don't know how bound it below.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
wait a minute i think that's enough iv'e shown that the radius cannot be greater than a.
stupid me. (-;

But this isn't true. If f is analytic in some region, then gf is analytic in that region if f maps into some region in which g is analytic. And the converse is certainly false.

He's talking about the product of f and g, not the composition.

Ah! Now why didn't I think of that? (Suggestions not necessary.)

yes I am talking of the prodcut.
anyway, i think this appraoch of mine isn't correct.
i think that bassically in order to prove it you need to use here cauchy's product.
i.e if two partial sums f_n and g_n converges absolutely then also their cauchy's product converges absolutely.
bassically here we assume that both g and f converges in 0<r<a, in [-r,r] they converge absolutely so also their cauchy product converges absolutely at [-r,r].
is this better than my other obvoiusly faulty answer?

1. What are analytic functions?

Analytic functions are mathematical functions that can be represented by a power series expansion. They are defined on a complex domain and are differentiable at every point within that domain.

2. What is the significance of analytic functions?

Analytic functions are significant because they have many useful properties that can be proven mathematically. These properties allow us to solve complex problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They also have applications in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

3. How are analytic functions proved?

Analytic functions are proved using rigorous mathematical techniques such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the Cauchy integral theorem, and the Taylor series expansion. These techniques involve the use of complex analysis, calculus, and algebra to establish the properties and behavior of analytic functions.

4. What are some common proofs for analytic functions?

Some common proofs for analytic functions include proving that a function satisfies the Cauchy-Riemann equations, showing that the function is holomorphic (i.e. differentiable), and using the Cauchy integral theorem to evaluate complex integrals. Other proofs may involve using the properties of analytic functions such as the maximum modulus principle or the Cauchy integral formula.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to prove analytic functions?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning how to prove analytic functions. These include textbooks, online courses, and video lectures on complex analysis and mathematical proofs. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and proofs related to analytic functions to improve understanding and proficiency.