Proving the Identity Theorem for Analytic Functions on Open Strips

• Thread starter arnesmeets
  • Start date
In summary, for functions that are continuous on the closure of their domain, and analytic on some region contained within that closure, Cauchy's theorem plus continuity of the function at the boundary imply that the function has zeros at the boundary.
arnesmeets
Let f be analytic on {z : 0 < I am z < 1} and continuous on the closure of this set.

Suppose that f(z) = 0 if z is real. Show that f is identically zero.

Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what (standard?) results do you know that might help? Any that tell you when an analytic function is zero? I can think of 2, one of which gives you the answer.

Well, I know the identity theorem, but we can't apply it here :(

[because f is not zero inside the region where f is analytic]

Can you think of anyway to extend f to be analytic on the region where it is zero?

Of course the fact that f is continuous on the closure of the set is crucial- you will have to use that.

I once asked about what kind of things can happen that prevent analytic continuation. I think it turned out that there can be boundaries (lines or other one dimensional manifolds) over which analytic continuation cannot be carried out, and was it the reason, that the function approaches zero or infinity at the boundary? If the claim in opening post is correct, I'm probably remembering something wrong then?

Or does the boundary of continuation arise so that the function does not have any limits on it?

My mistake. I was thinking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_of_holomorphy

When n = 1, then every open set is a domain of holomorphy: we can define a holomorphic function which has zeros which accumulate everywhere on the boundary of the domain

But it doesn't give a counter example to the claim in the opening post.

I would hope it doesn't give a counter example: the reflection principle is one of the most elementary results in complex analysis - it's a simple consequence of Morera's theorem.

jostpuur - having zeros which accumulate at the boundary is different from saying that it goes to zero at the boundary.
eg, sin(1/z) is defined for z !=0 and has zeros which accumulate at z=0, but it doesn't go to zero as z->0.

gel said:
jostpuur - having zeros which accumulate at the boundary is different from saying that it goes to zero at the boundary.
eg, sin(1/z) is defined for z !=0 and has zeros which accumulate at z=0, but it doesn't go to zero as z->0.

I had understood this by the time of my previous post, where I said that the function described by the Wikipedia isn't a counter example.

When writing post #6, I thought I had seen something that could be a counter example, but then I found the Wikipedia page, took a closer look, and noticed that I remembered it wrong, and then wrote the post #7.

Last edited:
Define [itex]g_y : \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{C}[/itex] so that [itex]g_y(x) = f(x+iy)[/itex]. Cauchy's theorem plus continuity of [itex]f[/itex] at the boundary imply that

[tex]\int_{-a}^a (g_y(x)+g_y(-x))dx = 0[/tex]

(taking a symmetric rectangular contour with base arbitrarily close to the real line). The continuity of [itex]g_y[/itex] gives that

[tex]\frac{1}{2\epsilon} \int_{\epsilon}^{\epsilon} (g_y(x)+g_y(-x))dx \Rightarrow g_y(0)[/tex]

So [itex]f(iy)=0[/itex], and you can apply the identity theorem.

Last edited:

What is an analytic on open strip?

An analytic on open strip is a complex-valued function that is defined on an open strip in the complex plane, which is a region bounded by two parallel lines. It is an extension of analytic functions, which are defined on open sets in the complex plane.

How is an analytic on open strip different from an analytic function?

An analytic function is defined on an open set in the complex plane, while an analytic on open strip is defined on an open strip, which is a specific type of open set. Additionally, an analytic on open strip may have poles or branch points, which are not present in regular analytic functions.

What is the importance of analytic on open strip in mathematics?

Analytic on open strip is important in complex analysis, as it allows for the study of functions with more complex behavior than regular analytic functions. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and differential equations.

How can one determine if a function is analytic on open strip?

To determine if a function is analytic on open strip, one can use the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which are a set of necessary and sufficient conditions for a function to be analytic. These equations involve the partial derivatives of the function, and if they are satisfied, then the function is analytic on open strip.

What are some examples of functions that are analytic on open strip?

Some examples of functions that are analytic on open strip include the Riemann zeta function, the gamma function, and the Weierstrass zeta function. These functions have poles or branch points on the open strip, which makes them different from regular analytic functions.