1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytic Problem

1. Oct 5, 2006 #1
    Hey im new to this site, i used to have george jones as a proff he was an amazing guy but now this new proff i dont really get, i am having trouble with proofs, i dont know how to do them well i have 3 problems im having trouble with
    given that the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its initial value after n cycles, show the ratio of period of oscillation to the period of the same oscillator with no damping is,
    T (damped)/T(undamped) = square root (1+ 1/(4pi squared n squared)

The second question is: the terminal speed of a freely falling ball is v. when the ball is supported by a light elastic spring the spring stretches by an amount x, show the natural frewuency of oscillation is:
    w (omega) = (square root g/x) - g/(2v)

haha hey im jen by the way
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you done? Can you write the expressions for [itex]\omega[/itex] for the damped oscillator ([itex]m\ddot{x}+ b\dot{x} + kx = 0[/itex]) and [itex]\omega_0[/itex] for the undamped oscillator ([itex]m\ddot{x} + kx = 0[/itex]).?

Can you determine the coefficients "b" and "k" in [itex]m\ddot{x}+ b\dot{x} + kx = 0[/itex]?

4. Oct 7, 2006 #3
    im trying

hello, i have attempted the problem many times hahha, i know how to prove that w = square root (g/x) that is the easy part and the original question was w = square root of (g/x - (g squared /(4vsquared))) so i figured w squared then is equal to g/x - g squared /(4vsquared) trying to work backwards and i know that they start with
    -kx + mg= 0 and k= mg/x so w= square root of mg/xm or g/x
    im thinking its somewhere in this equation that i should be able to configure the right answer but i dont know
    and for the first problem we have never done anythin with amplitude and period before so i just dont know where to put in 1/e?

p.s. how do you put in those symbols?
  5. Oct 9, 2006 #4

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What is the expression for the position of a particle undergoing damped harmonic motion?

What is the (time-dependent) amplitude of a damped harmonic oscllator?

It's LaTeX. You can look at examples by clicking on the mathematics in any post that uses it. Also, the tread Introducing LaTeX Math Typesetting is very useful.

It takes a while to get the hang of LaTeX, and it can be a pain to use, but it does produce nice results.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?