1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytical mechanics & QM

1. Dec 2, 2017 #1
    Hi at all.
    I'm wondered is necessary learn well analytical mechanic ( eg learning The Goldstein's book), for understand and study QM ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2017 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

Well, yes. Why would you think it's not?

4. Dec 2, 2017 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, not the whole book, but definitely the important stuff, like Lagrangians and Hamiltonians.

5. Dec 2, 2017 #4

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

It wouldn't harm him. :-)

6. Dec 2, 2017 #5
    Depends on how deep you want to go. If you want to know everything about QM an undergraduate in physics knows, then I think you'll be fine for the most part without ever taking analytical mechanics. Also, why do you want to study from Goldstein? That's a graduate textbook and is kind of overkill if what you ultimately want is to learn QM.

7. Dec 3, 2017 #6
    Yes that i know, but i meant if it is necessary to study all Goldstein for good, for begin to grasp qm...

8. Dec 3, 2017 #7

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It always baffled me how some programs teach quantum mechanics without ever mentioning hamiltonians in the classical setting. It is kind of asking students to accept a completely new concept in a completely new setting without ever seeing the classical background.

That being said, some programs do teach QM without teaching analytical mechanics. However, you will have an advantage in terms of understanding the underlying concepts if you do.

9. Dec 3, 2017 #8
    TAHNKS

10. Dec 3, 2017 #9
    Goldstein is great book, just give it a try and read the lightly first chapters just to first 150p. and try to read hamiltonian formalism chapter. You'll enjoy quatum mechanics because you will understand schrodinger formalism.
    If you mean if it neccesary to read the whole book, No you dont need to.
    But if you look further to learn advanced topics like relativity and quantum field theory you need it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted