Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

ANALYTICAL or PCHEM first?

1. Nov 9, 2008 #1
    I will be picking my Spring courses on Monday and I just want to know which class you would recommend me taking first: analytical chem or physical chemistry? does it matter which I take first? I will have to take physical chemistry 2, so should I take physical chemistry first because of that? I'd really appreciate your opinion! Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2008 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I took Analytical Chemistry , however it really did not help with Physical Chemistry , the latter takes more time however the lab of the former is going to be more demanding. It may be better to take Analytical Chemistry since it involves a lot of review of General Chemistry.

4. Nov 9, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I would say that Analytical Chemistry will not help in Physical Chemistry, while Physical Chemistry _may_ help in Analytical - depending on the syllabus.

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If your school was like mine, PChem 2 was only offered in the spring so that the cohort could move smoothly through. If you didn't grab PChem 2 when you could, you had to wait a year for another chance. Analytical chemistry was offered more often. I would take PChem 2 as soon as you can after PChem 1. You can always get around to Analytical Chemistry...

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5
    I don't think it matters which one you pick first; these are two very different courses. In A.Chem, laboratory technique is very important and theory takes a back seat (or it should anyways...). P. Chem on the other hand is mostly theory and the lab (if one is even offered) takes a back seat. Apples and oranges, success in one probably has little to do with success in the other.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?