1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytical question

1. Oct 8, 2006 #1
    given the amplitude of a damped harmonic oscillator drops to 1/e of its inital value after n complete cycles show the ratio of oscillation to the period of the sam oscillator with no damping is

T damped/ T undamped = (1 + 1/(4pi^2 n^2) ^(1/2)

i got the auxillary parts where T undamped equals 4pi squared/q^2 where q is 2pi n , and T damped is 4pi ^2n^2 + c2pi n/m somethings not working because i get the wrong stuff on the bottom and c2pi n/m has to equal 1? or rearranging it i get square root ((cn2 (pi))/k + 1) equals Td/T so cn2 pi /k has to somehow equal 1/(4pi^2n^2)

for the second problem the terminal speed of a freely fallin ball is v when the ball is supported by a light elastic spring the spring stretches an amount x, show the natural frequiecy is

w damped = sqare root ( g/x-g^2 / 4v^2)

i know how to prove w undamped equals squareroot (g/x) that is easy

for this one i am getting confused with the question from the time when it is accelerating to when it hits terminal speed and doesnt accelerate, do i have to integrate at all or set up two parts to the problem one with acceleration and one without? because how do i know if it hits terminal speed before it stretches the spring to the max x?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted