1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analytical Solution to ODEs

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    I have a couple ODEs that I need to solve. I was probably just going to put them into mathematica, but I like finding the analytical way also. The first one is

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left( \frac{(y + \lambda)y'}{\sqrt{1+y'^2}} \right) = \sqrt{1+y'^2}[/tex]

Lambda is a constant and y' is dy/dx. I suppose that after all the quotients and products are evaluated it could be separated, but that is a lot of work if there is a nice trick to employ.

The other one, the one I am actually curious about since it is nonlinear, is actually a pair of ODEs

[tex]ma^2(sin^2\theta \ddot{\phi}+ 2\phi sin\theta cos\theta) = 0[/tex]
    and
    [tex]ma^2 \ddot{\theta} = -mga sin\theta + 2a^2 sin\theta cos\theta \dot{\phi}^2[/tex]

In this problem, m, g, and a are constants. I need to solve the coupled equations for both phi and theta. I was thinking that maybe I could convert the equations into first order ODEs, and then solve the system of equations, but I'm not sure how to deal with the nonlinearity of the [tex] \dot{\phi}^2[/tex] and trig functions.

These came from assigned physics HW problems (Legrangians/Hamiltonians), so I assume they can be solved without mathematica.

*Nevermind about the first one, I solved it with separation and integration tables. The solution was [tex] y = c cosh((x-b)/c) - \lambda[/tex] in case anyone guessed.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I had to do a similar problem earlier this semester and it was implicit in the question that we could do a small angle approximation.

Also, you might want to check out arildno's complicated answer (post #7) about how we can drop the squares angular velocity also in the small angle aprox:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=152090

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?