Analyticity of inverse tan

In summary, Tan-1z is defined by the integral of 1/(1+t^2) from 0 to z, where the path of integration is a straight line. Tan-1z is analytic for all points in the complex plane except for z=+i and z=-i, as the integrand is analytic everywhere except at t=+i and t=-i. As long as the path of integration avoids these points, Tan-1z will be analytic.
Tangent87
The function Tan-1z is defined by:

[tex]Tan^{-1}z=\int_0^z \frac{dt}{1+t^2}[/tex]

where the path of integration is a straight line. For what region of the complex plane is Tan-1z analytic?

I'm not too sure about this. I can see that the integrand is analytic everywhere except at t=+i and t=-i so does that mean that Tan-1z is analytic as long as we don't take a path of integration through those points? Or is Tan-1z analytic everywhere except at z=+i and z=-i?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can help clarify this question for you. First, let's define what it means for a function to be analytic. A function is analytic at a point if it has a well-defined derivative at that point. In other words, it is smooth and continuous at that point.

Now, in the case of Tan-1z, we can see that the integrand is indeed analytic everywhere except at t=+i and t=-i. This is because at these points, the denominator becomes zero and the function is not well-defined.

However, this does not necessarily mean that Tan-1z is not analytic at those points. It just means that the path of integration cannot pass through those points. In other words, Tan-1z is analytic for all points in the complex plane except for the points z=+i and z=-i.

To summarize, Tan-1z is analytic for all points in the complex plane except for z=+i and z=-i. This is because the integrand is analytic everywhere except at t=+i and t=-i, and the function is not well-defined at those points. So, as long as the path of integration avoids these points, Tan-1z will be analytic.

1. What is the definition of analyticity in mathematics?

Analyticity is a property of a mathematical function that describes its ability to be represented by a convergent power series in a given domain. In simpler terms, an analytic function is one that can be expressed as a sum of a series of powers.

2. How does inverse tan relate to analyticity?

Inverse tan, or arctan, is an example of an analytic function because it can be expressed as a power series. Specifically, the inverse tan function can be written as an infinite sum of odd powers of x divided by the corresponding odd integers.

3. What is the domain of the inverse tan function?

The domain of the inverse tan function is all real numbers except for the values of plus or minus infinity. Additionally, the domain of the inverse tan function is limited to values between negative pi/2 and positive pi/2, as it is a periodic function.

4. Can the inverse tan function have multiple analytic representations?

No, the inverse tan function has a unique analytical representation in the form of a power series. This is because the inverse tan function is an entire function, meaning it is analytic over the entire complex plane.

5. What are some practical applications of the analyticity of inverse tan?

The analyticity of inverse tan has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is commonly used to solve differential equations, calculate complex integrals, and model physical phenomena such as oscillations and waves.