1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyticity problem

1. Sep 4, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine if the function is analytic and sketch where it's analytic.

a) [tex] f(x) = \frac {e^z}{z^2 + 4} [/tex]

b) [tex] f(z) = \frac {conj(z)}{|z|^2} [/tex]

c) [tex] \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac {e^z}{3^n} (2z-4)^n [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) [tex] e^z [/tex] is analytic everywhere so [tex] f(x) = \frac {e^z}{z^2 + 4} [/tex] is analytic everywhere except at

[tex] z^2 = (x + yi)^2 = -4 [/tex]

I tried separating the function into [tex] f(x,y) = u(x,y) + i*v(x,y) [/tex] but get a very complex polynomial when I try to get rid of the imaginary part in the denominator for example:

[tex] \frac {e^x (cos(y) + i*sin(y)}{(x+yi)^2 + 4} * \frac{(x-yi)^2 + 4}{(x-yi)^2 + 4} [/tex]

does not work for me

b)

[tex] f(z) = \frac{conj(z)}{ |z|^2} [/tex]

[tex] f(z) = \frac{1}{z} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{1}{z} = \frac{1}{ x+yi}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{x - yi} {x^2 + y ^2}[/tex]

[tex] = \frac{x}{x^2 + y ^2} - \frac {yi}{x^2 + y ^2}[/tex]

[tex] since \frac{du}{dx} u(x,y) = \frac{dv}{dy} u(x,y)[/tex]

and [tex] \frac{dv}{dx} u(x,y) = - \frac{dv}{dx} u(x,y) [/tex]

the function is analytic everywhere except at the origin.

d) After using the ratio test, the result I get is

[tex] |\frac{1}{3} (2z - 4) | [/tex]

[tex] \frac {1}{3} |2z - 4| [/tex]

so the function is analytic on the disk [tex] 0 < |2z - 4| < 6 [/tex] for all values n

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Analyticity

Right, so [itex]f(z)[/itex] is analytic everywhere except at [itex]z=\pm2i[/itex]

I'm not sure why you'd want to do it this way, since you've already found the answer using a much easier method, but if you want to be a masochist about it, this method should work fine as well.

[tex]\left[(x+yi)^2 + 4\right]\left[(x-yi)^2 + 4\right]=(x+iy)^2(x-iy)^2+4(x+iy)^2+4(x-iy)^2+16=(x^2+y^2)^2+8(x^2-y^2)+16[/tex]

and so on...

You mean, "since [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\partial v}{\partial y}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=-\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/itex] except at the origin, where [itex]u[/itex], [itex]v[/itex] and their partial derivatives do not exist, the function is analytic everywhere except at the origin", right?

Where is the '6' coming from?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook