Analyzing Arc Equations - Why are x1,x2 & y1,y2 Half Circles?

• Thread starter kishtik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arc
In summary, the general formula for a circle is (x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2, where M(a,b) and r:radius. When solving for x and y, the positive sign represents right and up, while the negative sign represents left and down. This is why the equations for x1 and x2 are half circles at the right and left, and the equations for y1 and y2 are arcs of the top and bottom of the circle.
kishtik
The first general circle formula is,
[tex]
(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2
[/tex]
Where M(a,b) and r:radius.
I understand this well, but when the subject is arcs...
[tex]
(x-a)^2=r^2-(y-b)^2
[/tex]
[tex]
x_\textrm{1,2} =a (+-) \sqrt{r^2-(y-b)^2}
[/tex]
My teacher said that equations for x1 and x2 were half circles at right and left. But how?
And also the same fo y,
[tex]
y_\textrm{1,2}=b(+-)\sqrt{r^2-(x-a)^2}
[/tex]
were the arcs of top half and bottom of the circle. But why?
Any help is appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You apparently accept that [tex](x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2[/tex]
is the equation of a circle.

To get [tex]x_\textrm{1,2} =a (+-) \sqrt{r^2-(y-b)^2}[/tex], you solve for x. Of course, with the square root, you have to take + and - to get both roots.

You know, I hope, that x measures right and left on a graph. The point (4,3) is 4 units to the right of the x-axis. The point (-4,3) is 4 units to the left. When you solve any equation for x, the result is "left" or "right". Taking the positive sign is right, negative, left.

y measures up and down so solving for y does the same thing except up and down instead of right and left.

I knew that basics but couldn't put together. Thanks anyway.

1. What is an arc equation?

An arc equation is a mathematical formula that represents the shape and position of an arc, which is a portion of a circle. It is typically written in the form of y = f(x), where x and y represent the coordinates of points on the arc.

2. Why are x1, x2 and y1, y2 half circles?

The values for x1, x2, y1, and y2 in an arc equation represent the coordinates of the two endpoints of the arc. Since an arc is a portion of a circle, the coordinates of these endpoints will always be located on the circumference of a circle, resulting in half circles.

3. How do I analyze an arc equation?

To analyze an arc equation, you can graph it on a coordinate plane to visualize the shape and position of the arc. You can also manipulate the equation by changing the values of x1, x2, y1, and y2 to see how it affects the arc. Additionally, you can use the equation to find the length, area, and other properties of the arc.

4. What is the significance of analyzing arc equations?

Analyzing arc equations is useful in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to understand and describe the properties and behavior of arcs, which are found in many real-world objects and phenomena, such as circular motion, lenses, and bridges.

5. Are there any real-world applications of arc equations?

Yes, there are numerous real-world applications of arc equations. For example, they are used in optics to determine the shape of lenses and mirrors, in architecture to design arches and domes, and in transportation to calculate the curvature of roads and railways. They are also used in computer graphics to create smooth curves and arcs in digital images and animations.