1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyze the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally

1. Feb 20, 2005 #1
    Dear friends,

I need some help with this problem. As you can see in the picture we have this mass attached to two springs of proper lenght l and I'm asked to analyze the movement after displacing the mass xo horizontally (being xo very small).

I don't want you to solve the problem for me. Just give me a hint how I should begin. I know the oscillator is anharmonic and I believe the best thing to do is analyze its potential and draw the phase plane. But I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for your help

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2005 #2

s_a

What I'd do is determine the potential energy (U) stored in the springs for any value of q (using Hooke's Law), and then use the fact that the force F = -dU/dq. From this you can determine the acceleration in terms of the position q and hence form a simple 2nd order DE to solve for the equation of the motion of the mass.

4. Feb 20, 2005 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Are you sure xo is a horizontal displacement? If so, wouldn't we have to know the distance q when the mass displaced horizontally?

AM

5. Feb 20, 2005 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Perhaps it's a plan view ? Anyway, the problem would be even more complicated if we had to consider gravity.

Assuming that that is a plan view and that all the displacements are in one horizontal plane, the simplest approximate differential equation I could come up with to describe the motion was :

[tex]\ddot{x} = - \frac{k}{ml^2}(x^3)[/tex]

which I don't know how to solve. It certainly isn't simple harmonic motion.

The exact d.e. is a lot more complicated and almost certainly unsolvable exactly.

k, BTW, is the spring constant of one of the identical springs.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005
  6. Feb 20, 2005 #5

Curious3141

Homework Helper

But if q is indeed a vertical displacement and x is a horizontal one, then it becomes an oscillation in two planes. I think that one would call for solution with a Lagrangian. It's been a long time since I did anything like that, and it isn't elementary.

7. Feb 20, 2005 #6

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. I get the same equation:

The restoring force is:

(1)[tex]F = -2k dL sin(\theta) \approx -2kdL(x/L)[/tex]

Since:

[tex]L^2 + x^2 = (L + dl)^2 = L^2 + 2Ldl + dl^2[/tex]

ignoring the dl^2 term for small x,

[tex]dl = x^2/2L[/tex]

substituting in (1),

[tex]F = -2k(x^2/2L)(x/L) = -kx^3/L^2 = m\ddot x[/tex]

Perhaps someone with access to Maple or Mathematica will be able to tackle this. I found this general solution to third order differential equations.

http://virtual.cvut.cz/dyn/examples/examples/equations/eqs7/

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?