Analyzing Seismogram: P & SH Waves in SE Mexico to Ohio

• Thread starter RJLiberator
  • Start date
In summary, the best component to look at for recording the P wave would be BHE, while the best component for recording the SH wave would be BHZ. This is due to the location of the earthquake in SE Mexico and the angle of propagation of the P and S waves. However, at a distance of 500km or more, the near surface P and S waves will be diminished and the dominant waves will be those following the ray paths, which can vary in direction.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A recent earthquake occurred in SE Mexico and was recorded in Ohio.

1. Which Component (BHZ: Up-Down, BHE: East-West, BHN: Noth-South) of hte seismogram should we look at for the best recording of the P wave?

2. Which Component (BHZ: Up-Down, BHE: East-West, BHN: Noth-South) of hte seismogram should we look at for the best recording of the SH wave?

Homework Equations

I know that P waves propagate in every direction and SH waves are the s waves that are horizontal.

The Attempt at a Solution

From the given seismograms I choose for P waves BHE and for SH waves I choose BHZ.
I understand this problem is dictated by location from earthquake in SE Mexico to Ohio, but I can't understand how to look at it. If that were the case, wouldn't SH wave be best East-to-west (BHE) instead of BHZ?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Equations

I know that P waves propagate in every direction and SH waves are the s waves that are horizontal.

yes, the P waves do propagate al all directions, BUT their amplitude in a given direction is very dependant on the rupture direction of the fault
relative to where the recorder is. Consider these 2 fault motions in Mexico and the propagation of the P waves
which event is going to produce the largest P waves in Ohio ?

quake.GIF
RJLiberator said:
I understand this problem is dictated by location from earthquake in SE Mexico to Ohio, but I can't understand how to look at it. If that were the case, wouldn't SH wave be best East-to-west (BHE) instead of BHZ?

considering the latitude difference and angle separation between source and recorder, you didn't choose the other axis

but it gets a little more complicated than that and looking at ray diagrams gives a better indication ...

seis_waves.gif

for any recorder at significant distance from the quake, what does that diagram tell you about the
orientation of the waves arriving at the P and S or PP and SS locations ?
and which sensor will record the incoming waves the best at those locations ?cheers
Dave

Likes berkeman and RJLiberator
which event is going to produce the largest P waves in Ohio ?

Hm. Wouldn't they be the same still? Horizontal and vertical, if the P-waves propagate in all directions.

RJLiberator said:
Hm. Wouldn't they be the same still? Horizontal and vertical, if the P-waves propagate in all directions.

no, look at the angle the P and S waves are arriving at the P, S and PP, SS locations. Which sensor is going to record the waves the best ?
Z, E or N ?

Hint, at a reasonable distance, around 500km or more, the near surface P and S waves are going to be considerably diminished in amplitude. Instead, those following those ray paths are going to be dominant.
I see this time and again in seismograms from my own and other stations recordings.Dave

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator

1. What is a seismogram?

A seismogram is a graphical representation of the vibrations recorded by a seismograph during an earthquake. It shows the amplitude, frequency, and duration of the seismic waves produced by the earthquake.

2. What do P & SH waves represent in a seismogram?

P waves, also known as primary or compressional waves, are the fastest seismic waves and travel through the interior of the Earth. They cause back and forth movement in the direction of the wave. SH waves, also known as secondary or shear waves, travel slower than P waves and cause up and down or side to side movement perpendicular to the direction of the wave.

3. How can seismograms help us understand earthquakes?

Seismograms provide valuable information about the characteristics of earthquakes, such as their location, magnitude, and type of faulting. By analyzing the seismogram, scientists can also determine the depth and size of the earthquake, as well as the type of waves it produced.

4. What is the significance of analyzing seismograms from SE Mexico to Ohio?

Studying seismograms from different locations along the same earthquake's path can help scientists understand how seismic waves travel through the Earth's interior. This information can also be used to create more accurate earthquake hazard maps and prepare for future earthquakes.

5. What other factors can affect the interpretation of seismograms?

The quality and accuracy of seismograms can be affected by various factors, such as the distance from the earthquake, the type of rock or soil the waves traveled through, and any interference or noise from other sources. Instrumental errors and data processing techniques can also impact the interpretation of seismograms.