1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyzing a seismogram

1. Nov 18, 2015 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A recent earthquake occurred in SE Mexico and was recorded in Ohio.

1. Which Component (BHZ: Up-Down, BHE: East-West, BHN: Noth-South) of hte seismogram should we look at for the best recording of the P wave?

2. Which Component (BHZ: Up-Down, BHE: East-West, BHN: Noth-South) of hte seismogram should we look at for the best recording of the SH wave?

2. Relevant equations

I know that P waves propagate in every direction and SH waves are the s waves that are horizontal.

3. The attempt at a solution

From the given seismograms I choose for P waves BHE and for SH waves I choose BHZ.
    I understand this problem is dictated by location from earthquake in SE Mexico to Ohio, but I can't understand how to look at it. If that were the case, wouldn't SH wave be best East-to-west (BHE) instead of BHZ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2015 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, the P waves do propagate al all directions, BUT their amplitude in a given direction is very dependant on the rupture direction of the fault
    relative to where the recorder is. Consider these 2 fault motions in Mexico and the propagation of the P waves
    which event is going to produce the largest P waves in Ohio ?

quake.GIF

considering the latitude difference and angle separation between source and recorder, you didn't choose the other axis

but it gets a little more complicated than that and looking at ray diagrams gives a better indication .....

seis_waves.gif

for any recorder at significant distance from the quake, what does that diagram tell you about the
    orientation of the waves arriving at the P and S or PP and SS locations ?
    and which sensor will record the incoming waves the best at those locations ?

cheers
    Dave

4. Nov 19, 2015 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Hm. Wouldn't they be the same still? Horizontal and vertical, if the P-waves propagate in all directions.

5. Nov 19, 2015 #4

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no, look at the angle the P and S waves are arriving at the P, S and PP, SS locations. Which sensor is going to record the waves the best ?
    Z, E or N ?

Hint, at a reasonable distance, around 500km or more, the near surface P and S waves are going to be considerably diminished in amplitude. Instead, those following those ray paths are going to be dominant.
    I see this time and again in seismograms from my own and other stations recordings.

Dave

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted