Analysis of Circuits for EET Majors: Algebra or Calculus?

• Thread starter Jammin_James
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary, Algebra is used more in industry, while calculus is used for more complex problems. An EET with a BS can expect to do either, but most specialize in one or the other. Good websites for component and device purchasing are Digikey and Mouser.
Jammin_James
When it comes to analyzing circuits, what kind of math is used in industry? Algebra or Calculus? I'm an EET major (not a real engineering degree I'm told:tongue:), and all of my first year DC, AC and devices are algebra based. Is analysis more efficient with calculus?

Also, as an EET with a BS what can I expect to do when I graduate? I'd really like to know the major difference between and EE and EET major. I see you all talk a lot about things I've studied on here so I'm confused about what EEs do vs what I do.

Thankies!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jammin_James said:
When it comes to analyzing circuits, what kind of math is used in industry? Algebra or Calculus? I'm an EET major (not a real engineering degree I'm told:tongue:), and all of my first year DC, AC and devices are algebra based. Is analysis more efficient with calculus?

Also, as an EET with a BS what can I expect to do when I graduate? I'd really like to know the major difference between and EE and EET major. I see you all talk a lot about things I've studied on here so I'm confused about what EEs do vs what I do.

Thankies!

If I recall correctly, the only difference between an EE and EET degree is that the EE is more theoretically oriented and the EET is more practical application oriented.

BTW, an EET (i.e. engineering technology degree) is a real engineering degree. Most programs are ABET accredited which allows you to get your PE license. Nothing fake about that.

CS

if you really want to understand how circuits with reactive elements (capacitors and inductors) work, either in AC contexts or transients, you need a little calculus. the fundamental volt-amp characteristics of a capacitor or coil use the notion of the derivative or integral, the fundamental concepts of calculus.

Going deeper into the whole EE vs EET thing:

When applying for a job in a company, I heard people in human resources tend to go for EEs, and throw out EETs applications (both BS); I found that rather discouraging. I'm not going change my major because of that though, I love tinkering with the toys in labs too much, and EEs don't seem to get into that side of things.

Also, could someone walk me through a typical work day for an EE vs an EET. It seems the two degrees are interchangeable in some respects, but not all obviously.

And one more thing:

What are some good website that sell components, ICs, parts ect. I'm in a 2-year program at the moment and before I graduate I need to make a project, so I need to buy some stuff, obviously.

Thanks again guys!

For buying components, my favorite is
www.digikey.com
they have an excellent online search utility for finding stuff.

There's also www.mouser.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i worked at a company that tried to hire some EETs for automated test of military electronics. for whatever reason, they were just cheap. it's the kind of thing that, given a few years, they'll figure most of it out, but for the most part they just cycled through these guys.

other than that, I'm not that familiar with EET programs or the positions they fill. but maybe some kind of field service rep/field engineer?

Jammin_James said:
I love tinkering with the toys in labs too much, and EEs don't seem to get into that side of things.
EEs don't tinker, they design, simulate and build (prototype) the toys. That is the fun part of engineering.
The design part does require insight based on good math-based analytical skills.

Ouabache said:
EEs don't tinker, they design, simulate and build (prototype) the toys. That is the fun part of engineering.
The design part does require insight based on good math-based analytical skills.

I love to tinker, but that does not mean I haven't designed some circuits(granted simple ones at this point), or even hate to. I enjoy the problem-solving side too, and I hope to do that too when I graduate.

Sounds like you're on the right path for success. Keep up the good work..

You will find some great discussions here and around PF that can add to your knowledge base.
When the inspiration strikes, feel free to join in some. If you see something useful, for example; use of standard mathematical formulae, but not sure how to write them here. Just ask and we can give you some pointers.

What is the purpose of analyzing circuits for EET majors?

The purpose of analyzing circuits for EET majors is to understand the behavior of electrical systems and how to design and troubleshoot them. This knowledge is essential for EET majors as they work with various electronic devices and systems in their field.

Do I need to have a strong background in algebra or calculus to understand circuit analysis?

While a strong background in both algebra and calculus can be helpful, it is not necessary to understand circuit analysis. Basic knowledge of algebra is typically enough to grasp the concepts, and any necessary calculus can be learned as needed.

What are the main principles of circuit analysis?

The main principles of circuit analysis include Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and the principle of superposition. These principles are used to analyze the flow of current and voltage in a circuit and determine the behavior of the components within it.

What are some common techniques used in circuit analysis?

Some common techniques used in circuit analysis include nodal analysis, mesh analysis, and Thevenin's theorem. These techniques allow for the simplification of complex circuits and the determination of key parameters such as voltage, current, and resistance.

How can the understanding of circuit analysis be applied in the real world?

The understanding of circuit analysis is essential for various industries, including electronics, telecommunications, and power systems. EET majors can use their knowledge to design, troubleshoot, and maintain various electrical systems, from small electronic devices to large power grids.