1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyzing Data

1. Aug 17, 2006 #1
    I have an array of data such as:

X and Y are constituents in a material that I must create. Z is the revenue that we earn from having X and Y as constituents. However, there is always some exchange rate between X and Y; so there must be a ratio like:
    X=kY, where k is a constant. This would signify that adding 'k' multiple of Y is equivalent (will produce the same revenue) as adding 1 of X.

This problem, as simple as it may seem, does not seem to sink into my head. Do you have any suggestions on how to determine this 'ratio' between X and Y?

I thought of determining which 2 pairs of X and Y give the same revenue, and then comparing those. For example:
    (x,y) --> (10,3) produces revenue of 1000
    and ---> (15,0) produces revenue of 1000.
    Therefore, 5 of X is equivlant to 3 of Y. So, 5X=3Y and X = 3/5Y.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your method looks good to me. You could also just find the net worth of adding x or y.... for example, from the data you supplied, it appears as if one x is equivalent to getting 100 Z (although the data may not be linear, I don't have the original question in front of me, so that would be your judgement call). Solving for Y also gives you your ratio
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?