1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Analyzing the Forces & direction of friction

1. Feb 17, 2004 #1
    Hello!

I'm working on a problem right now, and I'm a bit stuck on the direction of the frictional force.

Basically, there are two blocks A and B, with B sitting on A and they're connected by pulleys.

Diagram of Setup

I think I've got most of the forces covered, but I'm just wondering - in what direction does the friction between A and B exert a force?

FBD of Block A (on the bottom)

FBD of Block B

The force in question is labelled FfB. Should it be in the opposite direction of the friction force on B when it's drawn on A? Do I need to consider it, even though I've considered the normal force of B on A, which changed the value of NA (normal force on A)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes. The frictional force that A exerts on B is equal and opposite to the frictional force that B exerts on A.
    Of course. If you are treating A and B as separate bodies (which you are) you must consider all the forces on them.

The friction acts to oppose slipping between the blocks. If A moves down the plane, then B moves up. F(A on B) acts down, opposing B's sliding; F(B on A) acts up, opposing A's sliding.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?