Analyzing signals from a radioactive source

In summary, it will depend on the detector you are using, but it is possible to set up a coincidence measure between two signals with a flash ADC with 5 GS/sec.
Rajini
Hello All,
Is it possible to analyze signals/photons/pulses from a 57Co source (strength 2 microCi) using a ADC (multihit readout) with 5 GS/sec? Just to look at pulse height spectrum..also I am interested to make a coincidence counting between 122 adn 14.4 keV levels! I heared that these ADCs are used to count pulse duration of less than 20 ns. But 57Co sources emits pulses in the order of microsec.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will depend on what kind of detector you are using; the ADC itself can't detect pulses directly.
Also; what do you mean by "pulse duration" in this context? I assume you are interested in gamma radiation in which case there IS not pulse duration as such (only single photons which do not have a "shape"); the pulse shape will depend entirely on the properties of the detector.

Hello,
Yes I use NaI(Tl) detectors. Can I connect these detectors to ADC with 5 GS/sec? Will it work? When you view the signals from detector using a oscilloscope, the pulses look as in page 71 of this pdf document http://www.lanl.gov/orgs/n/n1/panda/00326399.pdf. The x-axis scale is what I meant as pulse duration..in that fig it is 50microsec.
Thanks

If your pulse width is 50 us, or 50,000 ns, having 20 ns time resolution will not help you much.

You're going to want to amplify your signal before putting it into an ADC, this is described in the document you provided and is a standard procedure and will give a nice signal as shown in fig 4.6. The pulse duration isn't to do with 57Co itself, it's the time response of the detector. A standard spectroscopy amplifier and ADC will have no issue with this.

If you wish to look at coincidences, you'll have to do some more complicated electronic setup than you are attempting at the moment, for a start, you'll need multiple channels in which to do a coincidence.

Hello, vanadium/e.bar.qoum:
Yes I want to set a coincidence instrument. 122 keV as start signal (it is the start of the emission of 14.4 kev) and 14.4 keV as stop signal. Although, I have CFDs, SCAs, TAs, etc, I prefer to use the flash ADC with 5 GS/sec. So thought of asking help! Some say it is only possible with conventional NIM modules..Is it true?
Regards,
Rajini
PS: How coincidence setup are done? How the signals are selected using TAs, CFDs, TACs,? Any info/materials/books for this works with pictures and exmaples..

1. What is a radioactive source?

A radioactive source is a material that emits radiation in the form of particles or electromagnetic waves. This radiation is produced by the spontaneous decay of unstable atomic nuclei.

2. How do you analyze signals from a radioactive source?

The signals from a radioactive source can be analyzed using various techniques such as spectroscopy, scintillation counting, and ionization chambers. These methods involve measuring the energy, intensity, and type of radiation emitted by the source.

3. What is the purpose of analyzing signals from a radioactive source?

The purpose of analyzing signals from a radioactive source is to determine the type and amount of radiation being emitted. This information is important for understanding the properties of the radioactive material and assessing potential health risks.

4. What are some common applications of analyzing signals from a radioactive source?

Analyzing signals from a radioactive source has various applications in industries such as healthcare, nuclear power, and environmental monitoring. It is also used in scientific research, geological dating, and detecting the presence of radioactive materials.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when analyzing signals from a radioactive source?

When working with a radioactive source, it is important to follow proper safety precautions to minimize exposure to radiation. This may include wearing protective gear, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and storage procedures for the source. It is also important to regularly monitor radiation levels and dispose of radioactive materials properly.