Solving Anamorphic Prism Homework Statement

• Thread starter a2009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prism
In summary, the problem involves finding a condition on the orientations of two identical prisms in order to cancel chromatic angular dispersion for an arbitrary wavelength dependence of the refractive index. For monochromatic light, the condition is that the incoming angle of the second prism must be equal to the outgoing angle of the first prism, but in the opposite direction. For non-monochromatic light, an additional condition is needed to cancel out the dependence on the refractive index. This can be achieved by choosing the angles of the two prisms such that the ratio of their sines is equal.
a2009

Homework Statement

Consider a beam of light with a circular cross section passing through a triangular prism. The prism will change the propagation direction of the beam, but also, in general, its cross section will become elliptical. This effect can be used to convert elliptical beams to circular. However, if the light is not monochromatic, different colors will be dispersed to different angles. To avoid this in practice a pair of identical prisms is used. If a certain condition on the orientations of the two prisms is satisfied, chromatic angular dispersion is canceled for an arbitrary wavelength dependence of the refractive index of the prisms. Find this condition.

Homework Equations

The relevant equations are:

1) Sum of internal angles of prism equal head angle: [tex]\psi_1+\psi_2=\alpha[/tex]
2) Snell's law: [tex] \sin \phi_i = n \sin \psi_i [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Using geometric considerations, I calculated the change in height of a beam going through one prism. I found that I can translate this into a condition of the width of the beam. Namely

[tex] d = \left( 1- \frac{\sin \alpha \sin \psi_2}{\cos \psi_1} \right) D [/tex]

where d is the incoming width, and D is the outgoing width. If I add an upside-down prism at angle [tex]\delta[/tex], I can simply do the transformation again and get the outgoing beam width

[tex] D = \left( 1- \frac{\sin \alpha \sin \psi_2}{\cos \psi_1} \right)^{-1} \left( 1- \frac{\sin \alpha \sin \psi_2'}{\cos \psi_1'} \right)^{-1} d [/tex]

where [tex]\delta[/tex] relates the outgoing angle from the first prism to the incoming angle of the second prism

[tex] \delta = \phi_2 + \phi_1' [/tex]

the primed quantities are related to the second prism.

My hope was that I could find a condition on [tex]\delta[/tex] that would cancel the dependence on the refractive index. Obviously an approximation is necessary, however I'm not sure how to go about it. I tried a linear approximation, but the condition on [tex]\delta[/tex] is [tex]\delta=0[/tex], which is not so interesting.

The TA hinted that the problem could be solved using symmetry, however I don't see how to go about it.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up this interesting problem. I am a scientist who specializes in optics and I would be happy to provide some insight on this topic.

First, let's consider the case where the light passing through the prism is monochromatic. In this case, the condition for canceling chromatic angular dispersion can be expressed as:

\delta = \phi_2 + \phi_1' = \pi

This means that the incoming angle of the second prism must be equal to the outgoing angle of the first prism, but in the opposite direction. This condition ensures that the dispersion caused by the first prism is canceled out by the second prism.

Now, let's consider the case where the light is not monochromatic. In this case, we can use the same condition as before, but we also need to take into account the different wavelengths of light. This can be done by introducing the dispersion equation, which relates the angle of refraction to the wavelength:

\sin \phi = n(\lambda) \sin \psi

where n(\lambda) is the wavelength-dependent refractive index. If we use this equation for both prisms, we can cancel out the dependence on n(\lambda) by choosing the angles \psi_1 and \psi_2 such that:

\frac{\sin \psi_1}{\sin \psi_2} = \frac{\sin \psi_1'}{\sin \psi_2'}

This condition ensures that the dispersion is canceled out for all wavelengths of light.

I hope this helps you in finding the solution to this problem. Good luck with your research!

1. What is an anamorphic prism?

An anamorphic prism is a type of optical prism that has a non-uniform angular deviation, meaning it bends light in different angles depending on the orientation of the incident light. This results in a distorted or stretched image when looking through the prism.

2. How do anamorphic prisms work?

Anamorphic prisms work by utilizing the principle of refraction, where light bends as it passes through a medium with a different density. The non-uniform angular deviation of the prism causes the light to bend at varying angles, creating a distorted image.

3. What is the purpose of solving anamorphic prism homework statement?

Solving anamorphic prism homework statement involves finding the mathematical relationship between the incident angle, the refractive index of the prism, and the resulting angle of deviation. This is important in understanding the properties and behavior of light as it passes through anamorphic prisms.

4. What are some real-world applications of anamorphic prisms?

Anamorphic prisms are commonly used in optical devices such as cameras, telescopes, and periscopes. They can also be found in some display technologies, like digital projectors, where they are used to correct the distorted image caused by the non-uniformity of the light source.

5. How can I solve anamorphic prism homework statement?

To solve anamorphic prism homework statement, you will need to use the Snell's law of refraction, which states that the ratio of the sine of the incident angle to the sine of the refracted angle is equal to the ratio of the refractive indices of the two media. You will also need to use the prism's angular deviation formula, which is derived from the law of refraction. By setting these two equations equal to each other, you can find the relationship between the incident angle, the refractive index, and the angle of deviation, and then solve for the unknown variable.