News Anarchy, again.

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
Smurf said:
It also means a few other things. Like "flagship", or in this case, more literally "spokesperson" (or spokeswoman since it's feminine).
http://www.freetranslation.com/
Because they're ideology is called "Zapatismo" which is very similar to many idealized forms of anarchism because all the communities are autonomous municipalities where decisions are made by consensus and leadership is non-hierarchial.
Dude, deciding to give you the benefit of the doubt, I did a http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=slv5-&p=Zapatismo%20anarchy&ei=UTF-8 on the key words 'Zapatismo Anarchy' and found that my post above was the #1 link in Yahoo (And consquently Google). This you should find scarey.

Leaping down to #6, the first 'legitimate link', http://rds.yahoo.com/;_ylt=AhqNa.WCe7aHafq.3QaLLLRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1YWEyam5qBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDNgRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANERlgwXzM-/SIG=138qu1bds/EXP=1130717051/**http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=4796", I find that Coffe na lang dear was correct ...
There are a host of other names: autonomism, anti-authoritarianism, horizontality, Zapatismo, direct democracy...
Somehow, I am starting to feel like an educated man who understands the meaning of words being told in the 1960's that 'gay' now means 'homosexual'.

In other words, some Spanish speaking people or worse, English speaking people of little education, have hung a meaning on a word they don't truly understand. They have 'coopted' the word and hung a meaning on it that does not appear in any dictionary.

Now as far as the 'translation' of 'Comandanta', basic knowlege of Spanish requires that you use common sense. Since she doesn't particularly look like a boat (Bad photograph notwithstanding), you convert the word to the 'masculine' ... which means you replace the 'a' with an 'e'.

Now go back to the translation site you chose and enter the word 'comandante' which will return the word commander.

What you are looking at is a revolutionary movement who, if given the amount of power to take on the armed forces of their country, would have no hesitation in overthrowing that government. Correct?

So why are these revolutionary cells any different than any other revolutionary cells that have appeared in history?

So they are local government ... presumably since they would have a bit of trouble if they left the jungle and went to Mexico City their cammo, bandoiers and ski masks might give them away?

They work independently ... by choice or necessity since the odd cell phone could be triangulated to their jungle hideouts if the province had the cash to actually set up 'cells'?

You still have not given me any differences between these people and the NPA I had working for me in the Phillipines who were Maoist in their leanings.

Living on Mindanao, I know they were not receiving updates from Luzon and they too were working independently... and they worked independently from the Moslems... who were associated with but not working together with the Moslems from Indonesia and utimately, Al Qieda.

I don't know ... maybe you are unaware that these organizations ALL work in cells who are unaware of the other members in the organization so they can't betray them if caught?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Smoking Man said:
Leaping down to #6, the first 'legitimate link', http://rds.yahoo.com/;_ylt=AhqNa.WCe7aHafq.3QaLLLRXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE1YWEyam5qBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDNgRzZWMDc3IEdnRpZANERlgwXzM-/SIG=138qu1bds/EXP=1130717051/**http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=41&ItemID=4796", I find that Coffe na lang dear was correct ... .

In other words, some Spanish speaking people or worse, English speaking people of little education, have hung a meaning on a word they don't truly understand. They have 'coopted' the word and hung a meaning on it that does not appear in any dictionary.
Well firstly...

1. *Gasp!*
The western world hangs a meaning on something they don't truly understand? Noooooo, never heard of that before! It can't be true! Communism! Feminism! Liberalism! Conservatism! Dualism! Atheism! Ah hell, CHRISTIANITY!! TELL ME THEY'RE NOT ALL TRUE! GAHHHHHHHHHH

but...

2. What is on that page that's different than what I've always said and have never heard an anarchist disagree on? That being that anarchism is just democracy in it's truest form.

Aside from his slight misonception in the end of the first paragraph "the business of a revolutionary is to seize state power and then begin imposing one's vision at the point of a gun." I don't see anything I'd disagree with (I have only skimmed it, I'm actually asking you to point out what I should disagree with)
You still have not given me any differences between these people and the NPA I had working for me in the Phillipines who were Maoist in their leanings.

Living on Mindanao, I know they were not receiving updates from Luzon and they too were working independently... and they worked independently from the Moslems... who were associated with but not working together with the Moslems from Indonesia and utimately, Al Qieda.

I don't know ... maybe you are unaware that these organizations ALL work in cells who are unaware of the other members in the organization so they can't betray them if caught?
I'm unaware of anything about those organizations actually, so I can't give you a list of differences. Want me to give you a list of differences between Al Quaeda and Zapatismo? They work in "cells", since that's what you're marginalizing this down to. Heh, even easier for me to list the differences for Christiania... let's see, christiania's only goal is to keep the community a good place to live where decisions are made by consensus and minimalize imposed behaviour, they don't try to blow people up! ummmm They arn't based on religious fundamentalism. More?

Smurf said:
Well firstly...
1. *Gasp!*
The western world hangs a meaning on something they don't truly understand? Noooooo, never heard of that before! It can't be true! Communism! Feminism! Liberalism! Conservatism! Dualism! Atheism! Ah hell, CHRISTIANITY!! TELL ME THEY'RE NOT ALL TRUE! GAHHHHHHHHHH
but...
2. What is on that page that's different than what I've always said and have never heard an anarchist disagree on? That being that anarchism is just democracy in it's truest form.
Riiiight. Sure it is. Youre not too far wrong there if you are prepared to accept hat the United States Militia groups are set up to do the same thing in the USA ... It says so in the US constitution.
Aside from his slight misonception in the end of the first paragraph "the business of a revolutionary is to seize state power and then begin imposing one's vision at the point of a gun." I don't see anything I'd disagree with (I have only skimmed it, I'm actually asking you to point out what I should disagree with)
It's the point of a gun thing that is actually the important bit.
I'm unaware of anything about those organizations actually, so I can't give you a list of differences. Want me to give you a list of differences between Al Quaeda and Zapatismo? They work in "cells", since that's what you're marginalizing this down to. Heh, even easier for me to list the differences for Christiania... let's see, christiania's only goal is to keep the community a good place to live where decisions are made by consensus and minimalize imposed behaviour, they don't try to blow people up! ummmm They arn't based on religious fundamentalism. More?
No, once you agreed that you were using the word Anarchist incorrectly, it pretty well worked its way out. autonomism, anti-authoritarianism, horizontality, Zapatismo, direct democracy... all work better for me.

The Smoking Man said:
No, once you agreed that you were using the word Anarchist incorrectly, it pretty well worked its way out. autonomism, anti-authoritarianism, horizontality, Zapatismo, direct democracy... all work better for me.
How is that any different than any number of libertarian anarchist goals?

Seriously, anti-authoritarianism, autonomism and direct democracy... That IS social libertarian anarchism!

The Smoking Man said:
You had NPA's working for you? what kind of work is this?

The_Professional said:
You had NPA's working for you? what kind of work is this?
I had a chicken farm ... they have to eat too you know.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Something to mull over - How Does Somalia’s Private Sector Cope without Government?

http://rru.worldbank.org/Documents/PapersLinks/280-nenova-harford.pdf [Broken]

Haven't read it, but it looked intriguing.