Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Anatomy

1. May 9, 2004 #1
    I saw in a studyguide for universities and colleges in Ireland, that there is a separate study about anatomy. One can take BA degree and a Master's degree in anatomy! I am so curious about this and perhaps this will be my future. But what can I do with it?

(I will ask the university later. I wanted to check here first)

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2004 #2

ShawnD

Science Advisor

It will get you nowhere.

4. May 9, 2004 #3
    Lol...talking from experience ShawnD? ;D

5. May 9, 2004 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Nope, but I know it won't go anywhere. Where on earth will you use an anatomy degree? That sounds as useless as a philosophy degree.

6. May 9, 2004 #5

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you study anatomy for masters work? We have known almost all about how the human body works for at least a hundred years. What possible research would you do?

Hardly makes sense to me... if you're going to become an MD, go for the MD. If you're going into bio-med, go into bio-med. Anatomy seems like something which a lot of fields use, but the only reason to specialize in it would be if you plan on teaching it. I could be talking out of my butt of course...

7. May 9, 2004 #6

ShawnD

Science Advisor

That can't be. You're an engineer, and engineers never make mistakes :biggrin:.

8. May 9, 2004 #7

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. May 9, 2004 #8
    Anatomy sounds like a good class to take, but a Masters? I wouldn't think there is enough information to qualify for a Masters. I know anatomy like the back of my hand and I...what the?..hey check this out, I never saw that there before does this look normal to you? now look at my other hand.

10. May 9, 2004 #9
    <jargon> Scientific (or Silly) Wild Ass Guess. A term used by
    technical teams when establishing high level sizings for large
    projects.

How about the example of the word swag in a different usage: To hang or move, as something loose and heavy; to sway; to swing.

lol.
    "I swag as a fat person's belly swaggeth as he goeth. --Palsgrave."

11. May 10, 2004 #10
    You do have a talent for encouraging others, don't you? Philosophy is good for thinking and being creative, searching for solutions... I am not going to study philosophy, I did think about it, but I am defending those who are. You mean useless because it cannot give something NEW to the society and Mankind? Is innovation, progress and growth all that matters? Is using the nature resources untill they are all worn and gone all that makes a successful living and a great future? Don't we need people who can ask questions?

How about some good ol' thinkin' instead of the "MUCH, SOON, NOW OR NEVER"-idea that science clings to today..?

Fine.. Just fine...

12. May 10, 2004 #11
    Anatomy is fascinating. If fascination is not an acceptable reason for studying, and only to increase the wealth mankind and "live happy all our lives", then... Jada jada...

13. May 10, 2004 #12

ShawnD

Science Advisor

No, I mean it costs thousands of dollars and 4 years of your life but won't get you a job. Being an "artist" or a "thinker" does not pay the bills.

The whole point of going to university is to get a good job. If you're just going to end up working as a construction worker after graduation, what was the whole point of going to university?

14. May 10, 2004 #13

ahrkron

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

People have different motivations for studying. It need not be getting a good job. The investment you (or your parents) do in college education can pay off in different ways, and it is a personal matter which is the most valuable (money, status, intellectual curiosity, ability to teach or help others, etc.).

On the other hand, Thallium, your original question was precisely "what can I do with it?", which can be understood as "what job is there for the holder of such a degree?".

15. May 11, 2004 #14
    Joy of course! What is the point with having a job without finding joy in it!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?