• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Anchorage length

• Thread starter dss975599
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Guys , what is the difference between the basic and equivalent anchorage length ?
For the basic anchorage length , it is measured for the whole bend as in the figure a ..
For the b , for the equivalent anchorage length , why it's measured from one side only ? ( longer side)
https://calculocivil.com/eu/ec2/anchorage/base

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think for figure b , it's wrong ... It 's shold be measured for the whole L shape bend like figure a . Correct me if i am wrong . Thanks .

Attachments

Answers and Replies

Baluncore
Science Advisor
2019 Award
Maybe tight bends, beyond 90° place the hook part of the bar in compression, not tension.
Refer to; 8.4.1
(3) Bends and hooks do not contribute to compression anchorages.

Equivalent anchorage length is the length of the steel reinforcement that will be engaged through tensile strains in reinforced concrete.

Basic anchorage length is the equivalent anchorage length + the bent portion of the steel. The bent portion of the steel is not considered to resist any tensile strains/stresses and is simply provided to prevent the steel bars from slipping out of the reinforced concrete.

Equivalent anchorage length is the length of the steel reinforcement that will be engaged through tensile strains in reinforced concrete.

Basic anchorage length is the equivalent anchorage length + the bent portion of the steel. The bent portion of the steel is not considered to resist any tensile strains/stresses and is simply provided to prevent the steel bars from slipping out of the reinforced concrete.
thanks , do you have any diagram as example ?