Is the Ancient Alien Theory worth considering?

In summary: Thanks for your input.In summary, some TV show producers produced a show with a theory that some PhDs, authors, and historians believe in. It's interesting, and I recommend it.
Marco12
How serious should we take this theory? I have been watching the show on the History channel lately and the ancient alien theorist have a lot of evidence. I mean some of the claims are a bit far-fetched, but the evidence is there.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's supposed to be entertainment. I saw part of one last night, angels were wearing jetpacks. Is that the one you're referring to?

I've seen a couple of those, ususally, the crackpots are on the first part of the show, then the scientists are allowed to give rational explanations for the last few minutes, but if you go to the bathroom or get a glass of water, you might miss that part. Although I don't remember seeing any rational explanations of the "bible ancient aliens" with "Chariots of the Gods" Von Daniken on it.

i don't believe in extraterrestrials, but i like to think there are extra terrestrials.

Evo said:
It's supposed to be entertainment. I saw part of one last night, angels were wearing jetpacks. Is that the one you're referring to?

I've seen a couple of those, ususally, the crackpots are on the first part of the show, then the scientists are allowed to give rational explanations for the last few minutes, but if you go to the bathroom or get a glass of water, you might miss that part. Although I don't remember seeing any rational explanations of the "bible ancient aliens" with "Chariots of the Gods" Von Daniken on it.

Yes, that's the one I am talking about. And I have seen most of the shows and they present some bizarre evidence. For example there is a city in the middle east (forgot the name) where there is radioactive waste and it is an ancient city; this make the ancient alien theorist argue that maybe the atomic bomb in Hiroshima wasnt the first atomic bomb on Earth's history. Another episode shows how the Mayan and Egyptian civilizations had so much writing and drawings on sky artifacts and you add the fact that their constructions were so incredibly difficult for their standards and you start getting the idea.

It is interesting, and I recommend it.

Marco12 said:
Yes, that's the one I am talking about. And I have seen most of the shows and they present some bizarre evidence. For example there is a city in the middle east (forgot the name) where there is radioactive waste and it is an ancient city; this make the ancient alien theorist argue that maybe the atomic bomb in Hiroshima wasnt the first atomic bomb on Earth's history. Another episode shows how the Mayan and Egyptian civilizations had so much writing and drawings on sky artifacts and you add the fact that their constructions were so incredibly difficult for their standards and you start getting the idea.

It is interesting, and I recommend it.

Just remember; it's for entertainment. Don't believe a whit of it.

If the possibility exists, why not believe?

DBTS said:

The possibility exists that if you give me the deed to your house I will cure your acne. Why not believe?

DaveC426913 said:
The possibility exists that if you give me the deed to your house I will cure your acne. Why not believe?
:tongue2:

DaveC426913 said:

The belief in that possibility does not mean I am going to act on it. It is the stipulation for a cure if acne exists on my face. That does not answer my question though.

DBTS said:
There is a possibility for virtually anything, that does not mean that there is a *probablity*.

Do you really believe in everything just in case it might be infinitesimally possible?

Well, like I said, there is evidence and of course the evidence is subject to discussion, but these ancient alien theorists are not jokes. Some of them are PhD's, authors, and historians. Am I saying I believe in this theory? No, but I do believe it is not dramatically unlikely to say its outside the realm of possibility.

Marco12 said:
Well, like I said, there is evidence
What evidence? Evidence of nuclear reactor byproducts?

Marco12 said:
...these ancient alien theorists are not jokes. Some of them are PhD's, authors, and historians.
What is special about PhDs, authors and historians that their cheese can't slip off their crackers?

Of the many ways you should be critical of this is to recognize that PhDs, authors and historians did not produce this show. TV show producers produced it. There's a world of difference.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good place to stop, we're not Psychics Forums.

1. What is the Ancient Alien Theory?

The Ancient Alien Theory is a hypothesis that suggests that highly advanced extraterrestrial beings visited and interacted with early human civilizations, influencing their development and leaving behind evidence of their presence.

2. What evidence supports the Ancient Alien Theory?

Some proponents of the Ancient Alien Theory point to ancient artifacts and structures, such as the pyramids in Egypt and Stonehenge, as evidence of advanced technology that could not have been achieved by humans at the time. They also cite ancient texts and artwork that depict beings or objects that resemble modern descriptions of aliens.

3. How does the Ancient Alien Theory explain ancient myths and legends?

The Ancient Alien Theory suggests that many ancient myths and legends, such as those found in Greek, Roman, and Sumerian cultures, are actually based on real encounters with extraterrestrial beings. These stories were then passed down through generations and may have become distorted over time.

4. What is the role of ancient astronaut theorists in the Ancient Alien Theory?

Ancient astronaut theorists are individuals who study and promote the Ancient Alien Theory. They often use a combination of scientific evidence and interpretation of ancient texts and artwork to support their claims and attempt to explain the presence of extraterrestrial beings in ancient history.

5. Is there any scientific support for the Ancient Alien Theory?

While there is no concrete scientific evidence that definitively proves the Ancient Alien Theory, some scientists and researchers have proposed potential explanations for ancient mysteries that align with the theory. However, the majority of the scientific community does not support the theory and considers it to be more of a pseudoscience.