Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ancient floods

1. Oct 1, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Andre, mentioned floods in another thread, my interest has been kindled by a
    program on tv about Malta and under water ,"cart tracks", that may date
    human civilization 1000s of years older than is previously thought, giving
    some weight to a massive flood event in pre history, what are your thoughts ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2005 #2
    you mean like the biblical Red Sea stuff? or other events?

4. Oct 1, 2005 #3
    we had an ice age
    once the ice melted about 10 k years ago
    the sea level came up 400 or so feet

don't know about carts that far back

5. Oct 2, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

I should have said ruts or parallel indentation resembling cart tracks, there
    are several on Malta, some under water, if the last major flood was 10k yrs
    ago then these ruts must have been made well before the date given for the
    ancient construction on the island.

6. Oct 2, 2005 #5

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Any "massive flood event" would most likely bury or destroy cart tracks in soft sediment.

Can you provide a link to any information on these ruts?

7. Oct 2, 2005 #6
    Amice, Sorry to be late to appear in your thread. The cart tracks could be interesting as could be the Cuban city.. However sea level rises may have been gradual (or not) and the flooding stories may have other roots.

About those megafloods, a sensitive favorite creationism hobby since there were many many flood stories from around the world, so the creationistic great flood seem to get a little support indeed.

But it's no evidence at all for a simultaneous world flood. That simply could not and has not happened. Instead there were numerous local catastrophes, tsunamis, perhaps catastrophic ice dam breaches in North America, the Lake Missoula floodings and perhaps the Lake Agassiz flooding apart from the Holocene black sea flooding.

However it could also have been massive Storegga slide tsunamis or prolongued dramatic increase in rainfall as is shown in the ice cores.

8. Oct 2, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

9. Oct 2, 2005 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/2001/1028/opinion.html

10. Oct 3, 2005 #9

wolram

Gold Member

Ah, so simple, thanks guys.

11. Oct 3, 2005 #10

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I double checked with my sedimentology teacher who has done a lot of work in Malta and knows the area well. He tells me that to the best of his knowledge Malta is not subsiding. He's reasonably familiar with the cart ruts, and says that sea level rise within the last 2000 years accounts for their submergence.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?